[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Berserk in Frostkeep - a cry out

DMCDanteDMCDante
Riders of Icarus Rep: 530
edited August 9, 2016 in Berserker
So yesterday was my first day i got to do one of the new Dungeons on something higher than story. Found myself a nice group (thx again to those guys, you were very patient with me) and having 10 years of WoW experience i was pretty confident i could keep up with everything regarding movement.
I was so wrong oO

Of course, learning boss moves takes a while but it's mostly run away and dont stand in front of the boss, right?
I dunno if im just too dumb to play or this Dungeon is just fucked up as a Berserk. Every single aoe oneshotted me even on Elite. I had no chance to dodge anything when being caught in a charge move(cause cancelling the charge usually takes as long as the boss to cast) and even if i run away the moment the Boss begins his cast, its a matter of pure luck to escape (being 1m further away).

So what do I do? Stop using charge moves on bosses and therefore be close to useless? Git gud? Use a class that doesn't suck?
I can't help the feeling that this is just another one of those games that just punishes you for being a melee while ranges can faceroll basically everything.

Im glad for any hepful advice, it's totally possible I'm just overlooking something since I play this game only casually.

TazzieMastasAlleyanaaa

Comments

• RhdfRhdf
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,440
    edited August 9, 2016
    What's your gear ?
  • KataklysmKKataklysmK
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 315
    edited August 9, 2016
    Hey, i am a Zerk and run FK H5 daily, somethings that i noted on my runs :

1) To run FK Heroics I, II and III, you need some gear with good stats, some seals are a bonus and make your life easier (a good ROM Set +10 works here);
    2) To run FK H4-H5 you NEED good gear +10, with good stats and good seals or you will die on each encounter, elites included (a very good ROM Set+10, with good seals is necessary or get a FK parts with some Corrupt Set parts for bonus and put it on +10, with good Seals and a Pet);
    3) To do FK H4-H5, good gear is essential for all the classes, think on FK as a team, tanks need a 18k hp pool, assassins need a 5k dps at least, so you too need a good gear to be part of the team;
    4) A good tip is let the tank "realy" take the aggro before you enter in a fight, give him time to do it;
    5) Try run the FK H5 with same people, over and over again, it realy help in the work of positioning as a Zerk...

Now, some tips for the Boss Encounters:

1) First Boss - Stay always behind him to not take the damage of normal blows and whem he cast the "Rage Hammer", use the defense "skill block with sword", it gives you a 2sec invulnerability and so imune to the efect of rage hammer;
    2) Second Boss - Mage/Yeti - Let tank have the agroo for 5 or 10 seconds on both, them you can just focus on Mage, just try NOT stay in front of yeti, because some of the skills, like the uppercut or the ice flow, even if not directly target on you, can kill because of aoe;
    3) First encounter with Rondo is the easy part, not much to say here, stay behind him, use defense (2sec invulnerability) when he does the atack of multiple blades wich i dont remember the name and move for positioning when needed;
    4) Second and last encounter with Rondo, positioning is essential here, zerk and assassin are made of paper for Rondo, even with very good gear sometimes Rondo give hit kill on criticals or if you get caught on blizzard skill, you are dead, so is important:
    * Stay behind him is a must, is much better move away and slow down the DPS a bit, over be a dead DPS;
    * Use combos and charged skills with caution, only use multiple combos or super charged skills, when he gets destabilized or when he uses the Frost Path skill;
    * Zerk do not have a escape move, so use your charge when need a fast exit move, to do it, target an ally (mage or healer) and charge on him, moving out of zone of danger;

That 's all I can tell so far, hope it works for you and helps on becoming runs!

Good luck...

P.S: Sorry for my english, its not my first language...
    Gat_TheRipper69DMCDanteAlleyanaaa
  • Gat_TheRipper69Gat_TheRipper69
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,200
    edited August 9, 2016
    KataklysmK

Hey, i am a Zerk and run FK H5 daily, somethings that i noted on my runs :

1) To run FK Heroics I, II and III, you need some gear with good stats, some seals are a bonus and make your life easier (a good ROM Set +10 works here);
    2) To run FK H4-H5 you NEED good gear +10, with good stats and good seals or you will die on each encounter, elites included (a very good ROM Set+10, with good seals is necessary or get a FK parts with some Corrupt Set parts for bonus and put it on +10, with good Seals and a Pet);
    3) To do FK H4-H5, good gear is essential for all the classes, think on FK as a team, tanks need a 18k hp pool, assassins need a 5k dps at least, so you too need a good gear to be part of the team;
    4) A good tip is let the tank "realy" take the aggro before you enter in a fight, give him time to do it;
    5) Try run the FK H5 with same people, over and over again, it realy help in the work of positioning as a Zerk...

Now, some tips for the Boss Encounters:

1) First Boss - Stay always behind him to not take the damage of normal blows and whem he cast the "Rage Hammer", use the defense "skill block with sword", it gives you a 2sec invulnerability and so imune to the efect of rage hammer;
    2) Second Boss - Mage/Yeti - Let tank have the agroo for 5 or 10 seconds on both, them you can just focus on Mage, just try NOT stay in front of yeti, because some of the skills, like the uppercut or the ice flow, even if not directly target on you, can kill because of aoe;
    3) First encounter with Rondo is the easy part, not much to say here, stay behind him, use defense (2sec invulnerability) when he does the atack of multiple blades wich i dont remember the name and move for positioning when needed;
    4) Second and last encounter with Rondo, positioning is essential here, zerk and assassin are made of paper for Rondo, even with very good gear sometimes Rondo give hit kill on criticals or if you get caught on blizzard skill, you are dead, so is important:
    * Stay behind him is a must, is much better move away and slow down the DPS a bit, over be a dead DPS;
    * Use combos and charged skills with caution, only use multiple combos or super charged skills, when he gets destabilized or when he uses the Frost Path skill;
    * Zerk do not have a escape move, so use your charge when need a fast exit move, to do it, target an ally (mage or healer) and charge on him, moving out of zone of danger;

That 's all I can tell so far, hope it works for you and helps on becoming runs!

Good luck...

P.S: Sorry for my english, its not my first language...
    I'll definitely take those tips into account, something I always find myself stuck in is the frost wind at last stage. Basically stuck doing h3 til I gear up more, such a struggle to get something that's not magic stats :')
    TazzieMastas
  • MetaruMetaru
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 925
    edited August 10, 2016
    Melee will die in FK H5. Even if I am playing perfectly every once in a while I might get an animation lock, get stuck on the enviroment or not have enough rage for my sword shield. Rondo can also be twitchy and that cleave is nasty. I can plan around these issues and pool rage and make sure I am not using a locking ability or leap when a boss is going to cast a 1 shot ability soon.

Still you will die and when you do just get rezzed and pop a potion or run back and get back in the fight. Try to learn what you could do better but accept that being a melee in FK H5 is like sticking your Johnson in a toaster sometimes...
    Mastas
  • TyuriTyuri
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,780
    edited August 12, 2016
    Metaru
    Metaru said:

accept that being a melee in FK H5 is like sticking your Johnson in a toaster sometimes...
    Nice comparison xD ROFL
    Alleyanaaa
  • EventFlowEventFlow
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 905
    edited August 16, 2016
    Berserker in TFK plays out fairly well if you get the tank to be a tank. Otherwise if you get hit you can take some shots before dying. Pretty much all of Rondo's abilities will one shot on H5, with the exception of the ice beam ability. so DODGE, BLOCK, DODGE.
  • VroomVroom
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,125
    edited August 17, 2016
    I'll post up a video here of me soloing FK H1 which is really easy, but i'll show you what I do. (attacks and rotation)
  • DMCDanteDMCDante
    edited August 19, 2016
    Ok that blocking skill is really helpful and i manage to not die till Rondo if the tank isn't a twat and positions the Mage/Yet combo in a way that i dont have to stand in the Yeti cleave. What still f*cks me up is Rondos AOE. No matter what i do i can't escape it, blocking does not work and even if i start running the moment he casts it im still getting hit and oneshotted ...
    Using Leap on an ally does not work for me or I do something wrong.
  • HellariHellari
    edited August 19, 2016
    Rondo for me is so fluent, I can basically for see his every move based purley on the fact I've done it so much, but depending on your group he should only freezing wind which is his channel aoe twice a fight, once at the start of the fight and once just after he spawns wolves with that being said, first freezing wind u should never get caught in it period, as generally I allow my tank sometimes to get aggro. 2nd I generally like I said is after wolves spawn i'll whirling blade then back off for a few secs till hecasts it. worst case Ontario, if ur quick enough u can charge an ally who is outside of it. and no u cannot leap.
  • SliyanSliyan
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 760
    edited August 20, 2016
    Vroom
    Vroom said:

I'll post up a video here of me soloing FK H1 which is really easy, but i'll show you what I do. (attacks and rotation)

go for it :D (btw. first try, atm i need like 25min and don´t need that much HP pot´s anymore, also my gear is a lot better since then)

My problem is that sometimes i stuck in my animation, and i can´t get out, but that happen not that much.
    Wich elite did you go? I think Elite V is harder than Heroic I.

If you struggle Yeti/mage, someone can kite the Yedi easily he is very slow, rest of the group can burn the mage then.
    You also can buy, cheap consti pots, they help a lot.
  • Gat_TheRipper69Gat_TheRipper69
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,200
    edited August 21, 2016
    I mean, it does all depend on the party in my opinion, I'm a Zerk working on my gear still, with all seals in, I sit a bit above 4k DPS and almost 3k phys defence, and I can't say H5 is easy, but it's doable with a party of people who know what to do and aren't careless. As a dps you're bound to die, whether you're a Wizard, Assassin or a Zerk. All dps definitely don't stand a chance against Rondo's Blizzard skill in his 2nd form, so it's good to take precautions! It's his only attack you can't blade block so I've noticed, so I guess it's about learning Rondo's rotation, getting the hang of your charge skills but not over doing them in a sense so you're able to get out of there in time. I mean, another thing I found hard to start out as was the fact that most dps are too stupid to focus on Phantom, Frost and Mist when they spawn, which makes it hard also, everyone except the Guardian should focus on them as they spawn to get rid of them asap, because it's a party wipe otherwise generally.

Get the hang of things in H2/3, it's not something you learn over night, but it's not something you'll never learn! Good luck in the future bud! :) Keep on swinging!
  • SóAceitaaSóAceitaa
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 485
    edited September 1, 2016
    Metaru
    Metaru said:

Melee will die in FK H5. Even if I am playing perfectly every once in a while I might get an animation lock, get stuck on the enviroment or not have enough rage for my sword shield. Rondo can also be twitchy and that cleave is nasty. I can plan around these issues and pool rage and make sure I am not using a locking ability or leap when a boss is going to cast a 1 shot ability soon.

Still you will die and when you do just get rezzed and pop a potion or run back and get back in the fight. Try to learn what you could do better but accept that being a melee in FK H5 is like sticking your Johnson in a toaster sometimes...
    No. iam zerk, with 8k life (no heroic seals) and i not die in fk5 with normal group. Just when tank/healer die first.
    Just need to train.
  • YatsusYatsus
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 300
    edited September 1, 2016
    Gat_TheRipper69

I mean, it does all depend on the party in my opinion, I'm a Zerk working on my gear still, with all seals in, I sit a bit above 4k DPS and almost 3k phys defence, and I can't say H5 is easy, but it's doable with a party of people who know what to do and aren't careless. As a dps you're bound to die, whether you're a Wizard, Assassin or a Zerk. All dps definitely don't stand a chance against Rondo's Blizzard skill in his 2nd form, so it's good to take precautions! It's his only attack you can't blade block so I've noticed, so I guess it's about learning Rondo's rotation, getting the hang of your charge skills but not over doing them in a sense so you're able to get out of there in time. I mean, another thing I found hard to start out as was the fact that most dps are too stupid to focus on Phantom, Frost and Mist when they spawn, which makes it hard also, everyone except the Guardian should focus on them as they spawn to get rid of them asap, because it's a party wipe otherwise generally.

Get the hang of things in H2/3, it's not something you learn over night, but it's not something you'll never learn! Good luck in the future bud! :) Keep on swinging!
    Attack him from the behind, then he won't hit u with the cleave
    And whenever he starts Freezing wind, just run/shoulder charge ur priest/wizard or you're doomed to die

I'm a Zerk with 5k3 dps unbuff, 3k5 defense & 14k HP and whenever I die in Frost Keep 5 is on Rondo when I outthreat our tank and get hit on crit + cleave crit
  • VroomVroom
    edited September 6, 2016
    Sliyan
    Sliyan said:

Vroom
    Vroom said:

go for it :D (btw. first try, atm i need like 25min and don´t need that much HP pot´s anymore, also my gear is a lot better since then)

My problem is that sometimes i stuck in my animation, and i can´t get out, but that happen not that much.
    Wich elite did you go? I think Elite V is harder than Heroic I.

If you struggle Yeti/mage, someone can kite the Yedi easily he is very slow, rest of the group can burn the mage then.
    You also can buy, cheap consti pots, they help a lot.
    I have just cleared FK H2 within 15 minutes. I will be uploading it shortly. 60% render...

There are strategies to the rondo boss. (watch as i block 90% of the cleave attack)
    He has an attack pattern and a delay on the cleave. Take a look next time you run FK :D
  • VroomVroom
    edited September 13, 2016

there you go.
  • MastasMastas
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,665
    edited September 15, 2016
    Its definately NOT easy for Melee classes Rondo Does not stay still so just saying attack him from behind is Not that easy he Cleaves at wierd angles and sometimes when u think u are behind him the Cleave Still Hits you ! He Crit me with 13K damage so 7 or 8k Heakth makes no difference if you get hit with that.
    His AoE Freeze Kills right off and sometimes you are Dead before you see Health run out,thats pretty annoying
    The Tank Plays major role yes but when he Summons the 3 Wolfs He seems do Do the AOE thing and Since Tank has to get Aggro from wolves or they tear through others Its a Really Hard time for him to Tank all 3 And try to Avoid AoE of Rondo at same time.
    With the Right Group and Experience sure you can do it,Sometimes as Zerk i do not die at all or only die 1 time or so but still,i hate the fact that sometimes you just die without being able to Avoid it.
    I would like fights like this to have more to do with Skill and Strategy (Like The Hammer Boss for Example) and not with 1 hit Kills from Random Hits and AoE with wierd positioning glitches (sometimes you die without being inside the Freezing circle just standing close to it...)
    On Mage Boss i got caught between his tornado spell and the Big Soulstone and could not move for the Rest of the Fight till he was Dead the Tornado would not Toss me up or away since the stone blocked me and i could not use Any ability to escape so was usless in most of the fight,Also Hammer Boss charging through pillars makes little sense.. Things like that screw up this instance a lot and should be fixed.
    PS:Nice Vid Thats some ridiculoulsy good Gear and stats the guy got on the Video :)

• VroomVroom
    edited September 22, 2016
    Mastas
    Mastas said:

Its definately NOT easy for Melee classes Rondo Does not stay still so just saying attack him from behind is Not that easy he Cleaves at wierd angles and sometimes when u think u are behind him the Cleave Still Hits you ! He Crit me with 13K damage so 7 or 8k Heakth makes no difference if you get hit with that.
    His AoE Freeze Kills right off and sometimes you are Dead before you see Health run out,thats pretty annoying
    The Tank Plays major role yes but when he Summons the 3 Wolfs He seems do Do the AOE thing and Since Tank has to get Aggro from wolves or they tear through others Its a Really Hard time for him to Tank all 3 And try to Avoid AoE of Rondo at same time.
    With the Right Group and Experience sure you can do it,Sometimes as Zerk i do not die at all or only die 1 time or so but still,i hate the fact that sometimes you just die without being able to Avoid it.
    I would like fights like this to have more to do with Skill and Strategy (Like The Hammer Boss for Example) and not with 1 hit Kills from Random Hits and AoE with wierd positioning glitches (sometimes you die without being inside the Freezing circle just standing close to it...)
    On Mage Boss i got caught between his tornado spell and the Big Soulstone and could not move for the Rest of the Fight till he was Dead the Tornado would not Toss me up or away since the stone blocked me and i could not use Any ability to escape so was usless in most of the fight,Also Hammer Boss charging through pillars makes little sense.. Things like that screw up this instance a lot and should be fixed.
    PS:Nice Vid Thats some ridiculoulsy good Gear and stats the guy got on the Video :)

Thanks.

One thing you can do to get out of his Freezing Wind AOE attack is to have a hotkey to target the furthest teammate and then dash to them with shoulder bash. Works everytime. Also keep in mind, I blocked all of his swipe attacks except for the first... He has an attack pattern. Study it.
    Mastas
  • AlleyanaaaAlleyanaaa
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 935
    edited September 28, 2016
    Well learning these moves can take a long time. first of all im going to talk about charged skills, Right off the bat if you try to cancel a skill you loose dps and often dont do it in time. To counter this i would say to just finish the skill and then block instead of trying to run. Even on something like the first boss in frost keep if you try to finish and then run often he will hit you with the ability and then when you fall he charges you. however if you block in front of him he has about a 1-2 second stun for your group to get back and the tank to re-grab agro. this is the same for most bosses in frost keep. The exception there being rondo because you wont want to ever stand in front of him. Rondo [both cases im talking about after the mirror cut-scene] is different because of his swipe, its not an ability and so its hard to tell if he's going to do that. and for most zerks that one shots them or the following hit does if they dont have a very good healer.

Next im going to talk about skill rotations, For the most part you'll just be doing a basic damage combo that you can find on Tyril's Advanced zerk guide. However in frost keep i recommend waiting until after a bosses hit and then using charge skills in order of combo as to get the most value. Though you dont want to do this for too long otherwise the next charge AoE will likely kill you in a gust cut or a Leap or another skill. But always be ready to block, some people dont like this but i set mine to my second mouse button so its easier and i can do it more reflexively.

Next for gear, if you can its relatively simple to run lavalight and carleon on heroic to get some heroic gear, then buy extractors [i use lvl 30 but im not sure if it matters for lavalight so you might want to check] and then use the gear to get tempering stones, these should be used to get any frost keep gear you have to +10 at a minimum. Try to focus on mainly strength or cool down for your buffs. physical attack is also good but remember that 1 strength is 1.5 physical attack. Crit is also important so if you can try to get that up to about 30-60% depending on your style. this will destabilize mobs and help your team and yourself immensely. For rings i would try to get crit chance or health with health being preferable. [If you get any rings with health percents like 8+ sell them on auction for gold] for necklaces i would try to find crit chance or plain physical attack. if you have the money seal your gear with Agnas or Kerav, if not ruby bloodwryms are plenty good. but remember to level them to 30 before sealing them.

I know im bad but i hope it was helpfull. have a great day.
  • AlleyanaaaAlleyanaaa
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 935
    edited September 28, 2016
    Metaru
    Metaru said:

Well its true that its hard i run Fk H5 every day and die maybe 1/3 of the time. if you know exactly what to do or have run it enough its defiantly possible