[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Do I have a good build?

MysticalDreamsMysticalDreams
Riders of Icarus Rep: 590
edited August 10, 2016 in Wizard
So right now here is what I have sealed (I Have all frost command gear)
2 Lynics they give +health +Mana
3 Yvokes they give +health+magic critcal damge
and 3 blue bloodwryms right now (sealing 4 more)
Right now my dps is at 1000
Is there something else I should do? Or do I sound like I am making a pretty decent mage build.

Comments

• NecroseNecrose
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 510
    edited August 11, 2016
    Honestly the Lynics are useless. At that point of the game you don't need any HP or Mana. If you haven't your mana shield up, you will be one shoted anyway. If you do have your manashield, your mana will run off anyway. Having seals won't make a difference. And to be honest in no case you have to be one shoted (unless your tank is dead / not there), because our blink is so powerfull, and the game asks us to move everytime, so casters won't even touch you.

I personally dislike Yvoke marks. I've already stated on health, and about magic crit damage... I find it less effective than magic atk.

So focusing on blue blood wyrms is good; It gives you more crit% and magic atk. And having some crit on your seals means you can have int on gloves and so have a better dps.

But to be honest, you have a poor stuff atm. You should have something like 1500+ dps with a "medium" stuff, and maybe this without seals. With seals + Taslan up, you should be around 1800-1900 (even more with Kerav). With buffs you can go up to 3k+ easily.
    With a hard stuff (smth like 3 int roll on each part besides pauldron and gloves), you can go nearly up to 2.7k just with Kerav. And 3.5k with buffs.
  • AshynnWhisperAshynnWhisper
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 740
    edited August 11, 2016
    So I am going to say something a little different. Crit damage is easily our best stat at the moment as far as seals go. Bloodwyrms are fine, but I would recommend Gilded Benthics. On your gear focus on Crit% up to 65. That means 32 Crit percent which is easily doable. After that go for Crit damage, but recognize that Int/Magic Atk are still good.

Do not worry about the DPS number it is meaningless as it does not account for Crit percent or Crit damage. I easily out damage many 2k + wizards at 1500, because my Crit Damage is high and I know how to use the class. Either way you are doing alright, just need to get your seals straight all Benthics should be your goal.

• 00Gambit00Gambit
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,155
    edited August 11, 2016
    Some good cheap seals are Gilded Benthic which give magic crit damage and magic crit rate.

If you have the patience and the gold, then get Venomous Caspert. I am going 3 parts Gilded Benthic, 2 parts Grumpy Gross, 1 part Venomous Caspert.

Grumpy Gros to give me some hp. Getting 1 hit by any boss in the game sucks.
  • RaptorCheezusRaptorCheezus
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 200
    edited August 11, 2016
    Necrose
    Necrose said:

Honestly the Lynics are useless. At that point of the game you don't need any HP or Mana. If you haven't your mana shield up, you will be one shoted anyway. If you do have your manashield, your mana will run off anyway. Having seals won't make a difference. And to be honest in no case you have to be one shoted (unless your tank is dead / not there), because our blink is so powerfull, and the game asks us to move everytime, so casters won't even touch you.

I personally dislike Yvoke marks. I've already stated on health, and about magic crit damage... I find it less effective than magic atk.

So focusing on blue blood wyrms is good; It gives you more crit% and magic atk. And having some crit on your seals means you can have int on gloves and so have a better dps.

But to be honest, you have a poor stuff atm. You should have something like 1500+ dps with a "medium" stuff, and maybe this without seals. With seals + Taslan up, you should be around 1800-1900 (even more with Kerav). With buffs you can go up to 3k+ easily.
    With a hard stuff (smth like 3 int roll on each part besides pauldron and gloves), you can go nearly up to 2.7k just with Kerav. And 3.5k with buffs.
    I agree on the HP part being useless but this is mostly rubbish. If you have around 50% magic crit rate that puts you at 85% in combat (3x ellora's marks [15%] and 5x still waters[20%]) magic crit damage adds damage at a ratio of 1.5:1 (like int to magic attack) and crits are not counted in DPS stat. Also since mana shield is our primary survivabilty skill, outside of frozen blessing for those OMG I PULLED AGGRO moments, you should be using at least a couple stacks of dark ecstasy debuff (from dark affliction skill) to regen % mana per second at the cost of magic attack (doesn't decrease crit damage stat but crits will be smaller due to decreased magic attack). so higher mana pool = higher damage absorption and higher mana regen each second with dark ecstasy meaning less down time in dps if you loose all your mana.

Really it all comes down to your gear, but crits are ALWAYS going to do more damage than regular attacks especially when it's stupid easy to cap crit rate when buffed. This doesn't mean forsake int and magic attack entirely as you wont always have those buffs and it still increases damage before the magic crit damage is added on. In an ideal world you would have a fair bit of int/magic attack, a large mana pool (I would use willpower stats for added crit chance and crit damage along with mana), and lots of magic crit damage to truly maximize your dps.

Some things you should know. You will catch flak in the game for having less than 5k hp as a wizard, ignore these scrubs that don't know about mana shield. Some people wont want to run with you if you have less than 1500 dps because they don't know how damage is actually calculated in this game (crits are not calculated in dps making the stat look really weak to the uninitiated on crit builds).

If you are building for int then I would go blue bloodwyrm seals, if you are building crit I would do 1/2 bloodwyrm and 1/2 benthic. Unless of course you are rich and then I'd do all Venomous Caspert seals, but good luck with that lol.
  • Kal_ElKal_El
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 465
    edited August 11, 2016
    You first most important skill is light blast. Spam it often to decrease cool downs and threat. Getting Crit damage on light blast is very important to destabilize target. Having 40% magic crit rate is ideal as it goes up to 60% and higher with still waters effect. As a mage most of your skill are not single shot nukes but multi shot skills with each hit able to generate crit damage. So unlike a sin that has a single hit nuke so high crit ensures high nuke damage, You are invariably guaranteed 60% of your hits will crits with every spell. Whether its Flame barrage, Ice Barrage, Firestorm, Hailstorm, Thunderstorm, Cinder Fog.

Crits are always going to be based of your base dps and whatever additional crit damage you have on your equip. This being said base damage stats are always better than specific magic crit damage stats. When you have a stat that is going to be proc'ed always vs a stat that will be proc'ed only when you crit. you know which is better.

As a mage you will be 1 shoted or with more Hp 2 shoted. Your armor or evasion will never be high enough to avoid an attack. Mana pots are the best way to go to prevent dying too much. Mana shield at 9 -10k can also be easily one shoted hence the need for mana pots. Your blink skill works on mana, so no mana and you cant blink away
  • NecroseNecrose
    edited August 11, 2016
    Kal_El
    Kal_El said:

ou first most important skill is light blast. Spam it often to decrease cool downs and threat.
    It doesn't decrease CD but Cast Time ^^
    Kal_El
    Kal_El said:

You are invariably guaranteed 60% of your hits will crits with every spell. Whether its Flame barrage, Ice Barrage, Firestorm, Hailstorm, Thunderstorm, Cinder Fog.
    I don't agree on one part: On Flame Barrage and Ice Barrage, whether the skill (E.G the 8 hits) crits or not. You can't get 2 crits and 6 non crits on the same Barrage.

Fot what I see with full crit build and full int build, atm the crit is placed at the end of the calcul of damage, so it's less effective than having int (buffed with magic atk% with Kerav / Taslan / Necklace), or flat magick atk on seals.

However I agree with the fact that you have to go above the 40% Crit chance. Gloves and Crossbow can give you 15% each, and with 2% per seals, you only need 10/14 slots and have whatever you want on the rest of your stuff. And you will be at 50% Crit chance unbuffed.
  • CrowFan01CrowFan01
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,755
    edited August 11, 2016
    Is all this talk about crit dmg confirmed, or just based on what players are "seeing and reporting". I am still confused about how + Crit dmg is applied and if it is worth having. I feel like unless you have an enormous amount you could prioritize elsewhere to maximize DPS. I am at 59% crit rate unbuffed 2449 DPS unbuffed and MA around 4200 on the high end. I have virtually no added crit dmg. Like I said I am still somewhat confused about the stat in general, but if there's a chance to increase dmg im all ears.
  • HroftzHroftz
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 650
    edited August 11, 2016
    DPS doesnt mean crap for wizzard....I can put items that will give me 2600 dps and i will deal less overall dmg than with my items that give 2200.
    Dps doesnt count CDR,crit chance,crit dmg and cast time reduction.
    edited August 11, 2016
    HardNips said:

Is all this talk about crit dmg confirmed, or just based on what players are "seeing and reporting". I am still confused about how + Crit dmg is applied and if it is worth having. I feel like unless you have an enormous amount you could prioritize elsewhere to maximize DPS. I am at 59% crit rate unbuffed 2449 DPS unbuffed and MA around 4200 on the high end. I have virtually no added crit dmg. Like I said I am still somewhat confused about the stat in general, but if there's a chance to increase dmg im all ears.
    I have personally tested the crit damage ratio. it's 1.5:1 so 300 magic crit damage will add 450 damage to a crit on top of magic attack/skill power. It's a lot easier to test using auto attack as there's no increase from the skills.
  • NecroseNecrose
    edited August 12, 2016
    RaptorCheezus

HardNips said:

I have personally tested the crit damage ratio. it's 1.5:1 so 300 magic crit damage will add 450 damage to a crit on top of magic attack/skill power. It's a lot easier to test using auto attack as there's no increase from the skills.
    But each skill has a different crit multiplier :D. You test with auto attack that has a 1.5 crit multiplier. If you test with bombs, it's the same multiplier, but explosive shot is 2.0 crit multiplier, so your 300 magic crit damage will add 600 damage to a crit ^^
    edited August 12, 2016
    Necrose
    Necrose said:

RaptorCheezus

HardNips said:

But each skill has a different crit multiplier :D. You test with auto attack that has a 1.5 crit multiplier. If you test with bombs, it's the same multiplier, but explosive shot is 2.0 crit multiplier, so your 300 magic crit damage will add 600 damage to a crit ^^
    good to know, I will test this out :D
  • AshynnWhisperAshynnWhisper
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 740
    edited August 12, 2016
    Necrose
    Necrose said:

RaptorCheezus

HardNips said:

Well, I love the way in which we are asserting crit multipliers here; however, it is rather misleading. We do not know what the multiplier is or how it is calculated. Unless, someone has data mined the code for damage calculations that is true. We have some rough estimates that may or may not be accurate, but we do not even have a dps meter to check over a large sample size. If anyone is testing this at all, it is by trying to write down the damage they see pop up on their screen for each spell and backwards engineer from there.

I have also done some theory crafting like that, but I am not going to assert that I know what is up. I think it is far more complicated than anyone in this thread is stating. With that being said. The power of Crit damage has more to do with how our rotation functions than with the exact damage calculations, and how easily available large amounts of it are. It is not available on every slot of gear, so on most your gear you are looking for triple INT rolls. On the slots where you can get crit damage, you want it, and in your seals you want it. The reason for this is because it is a powerful stat with limited slots where it can appear.

The actual crit calculations are something literally no one in this game knows, and anyone who is claiming to know them is lying. That being said, we do have some pretty good estimates on some things (like that spell damage is just added to base damage). Also, anyone seeking to better understand our DPS stat, well that stat is useless (It is actually the DPS of our atuo attack if you wanted to know), but the information when you hover over it is not. The damage range it provides is actually useful, as it is our base damage. All spells simply add damage to that number as far as I can tell, from my testing (admittedly the testing methods we have available are flawed).

If you are really interested in how these damage calcs work, then stop by the suggestion forum and support the dps meter post, as the questions asked in this thread will not be answered without either the devs or a combat log. The devs could just tell us the damage calac equation (doubt that will happen), or we could test the relative strength of build with a meter and some practice dummys (how every other modern mmo does things).
  • NecroseNecrose
    edited August 13, 2016
    I love the way in which you are just criticising and adds nothing to the discussion but "everyone's wrong". Yes we definitely are, because we don't have the formula made by the developers. But as an approximation, we can go close to the right thing?

Just do Carleon Solo, put ember bomb on each mob you see. Go with 50% crit rate, with no crit dmg.
    Then go to Matren and do it again. Then go to Jeranin and do it again.

If you don't see that ember bomb has a 1.5 crit ratio, I can't do anything to help you. Oh and do the same with the explosie shot, and don't come to tell that it isn't 2.0 or more.
  • TyuriTyuri
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,780
    edited August 16, 2016
    @AshynnWhisper Already tested it with many various skills from all of the classes and the Crit damage are definetely added at the end of the equation without being buffed or nerfed by the skill multiplier.
    I.E. the dagger toss of assassin is a 0.001 skill multiplier but when crit procs it does exactly this ratio + crit damage
    Thus the damage calculation is either :
    Final Damage = ((Atk+Skill Dmg) * Skill Multiplier + Crit Damage)*Skill Crit Multiplier.
    or
    Final Damage = (Atk+Skill Dmg) * Skill Multiplier*Skill Crit Multiplier + Crit Damage.
    Considering that you will often cast spell with high Skill multiplier ( Bombs, Meteors, Explosive Shot, ...), Flat Atk or Atk basic stat (INT or STR) will be much better than Crit Damage. The exception is very low Skill Multiplier skills such as Assassin Dagger Toss for which Critical Damage will be more valuable.
  • ShinobuShinobu
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 555
    edited August 16, 2016
    So trying to figure out if i am doing decent damage. My Ember bombs have been doing between 20~30k dmg on crit. How high in damage do you OP wiz usually do? I just want to see how far off I am and something to aim for.

Thanks!
  • CrowFan01CrowFan01
    edited August 18, 2016
    Shinobu
    Shinobu said:

So trying to figure out if i am doing decent damage. My Ember bombs have been doing between 20~30k dmg on crit. How high in damage do you OP wiz usually do? I just want to see how far off I am and something to aim for.

Thanks!
    Since originally posting in this thread, I have upgraded my gear significantly. Currently my MATT is around 6500 INT around 1.1k Crit Chance 55% Crit DMG 1500. I have 10/12 Casperts sealed just waiting on my head piece to upgrade and seal. My Hp with Rondo pet is at 11.5k and mana around 13k. Dmg on ember bombs really depends on the group im running with and how good the tank/healers are. If I need to gimp dmg and have multiple stacks of mana/hp regen up ember crits are about 35-45k on the low end and my highest atm is 58k. Again though that number doesn't really matter as multiple factors are taken into account for the ideal situation. Your number one job is staying alive and assisting your party to stay alive as well. Doing a 50k crit on wolves on Rondo is great until you pull aggro and die. Better to do low dmg and cc properly and make sure things go smoothly.

ShinobuMasterXII
  • ShinobuShinobu
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 555
    edited August 19, 2016
    Cool, thanks! I am about half way form all your stats except mana and crit %. Trying to get Casperts myself, but they are too expensive for me currently and I need to get decent FK gear. Lately, been experimenting with higher CDR, but having trouble finding the right gear with that stat.

Also, does anyone know if our destabilizing spells only work on full charge crits? Or just crits?
  • CrowFan01CrowFan01
    edited August 19, 2016
    Shinobu
    Shinobu said:

Cool, thanks! I am about half way form all your stats except mana and crit %. Trying to get Casperts myself, but they are too expensive for me currently and I need to get decent FK gear. Lately, been experimenting with higher CDR, but having trouble finding the right gear with that stat.

Also, does anyone know if our destabilizing spells only work on full charge crits? Or just crits?
    You should have a free 10% cooldown from using a pet Taslan. IMO other than Rondo, Taslan is the strongest pet for Wiz atm.
  • KikinaLnKikinaLn
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 100
    edited August 28, 2016
    IMO Yvoke are pretty good cheap seals, giving around 210 HP and 125ish crit damage average. Still better choice than grumpy gross. Im poor, no money for casperts and i build it "no bloodwyrms at all, everything benthic up to 65crit rate, and rest yvokes". Its ok damage output and not so bad survivability for starters (i solo a lot CoV e5 and heroic 1-2) and dont get oneshot by stupidiest things with pug tanks in fk.