[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Increasing Wizard Survivabilty; Possible Methods?

TimeSeerTimeSeer
Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,650
edited August 22, 2016 in Wizard
So, before anyone goes into the 'Wizards are a glass cannon' spiel, I know, and understand that. This thread is about attempting to make them slightly less glassy without sacrificing too much DPS. No 'git gud' comments please and thank you.

I run my Wizard with a friend who uses a Priest, and the difference in survivability is immediately noticeable; she can actually tank most PvE enemies with that thing, which just amuses us both to no end at this point because it seems so backwards. But on the flip side, if I manage to get anything's aggro, my Wizard dies if that enemy so much as sneezes on it. Two hits from most mages, dead. Four if I put up mana shield, but then I lose all my mana and wind up defenseless. Mind you, we manage just fine most of the time, but things turn into a mess very quickly when the server lag kicks in. One moment of two-second skill and movement delays gets me killed, whether it's her being unable to heal, or me being unable to move or use an AoE skill to stunlock everything. We don't have a tank with us, and don't have a guild yet(we're currently searching for one that suits our playstyle), so there's nobody to take the aggro if something goes wrong.

Basically, I'm looking to find a way to get a slightly better buffer on there so at least I won't be getting swatted like a fly every time the game lags.

What would be my best option here? I'm thinking of building primarily constitution(which gives both health and crit resistance) and magic defense, since both my health and defensive stats are really low; my Priest friend has literally 1000 more health than I do, along with higher defense, which makes a pretty big difference. Mage enemies also seem to do much heavier damage to me than melee ones, hence the magic defense. I'd be focusing these things through seals as well, not stats on the armor, though I'd still be putting a good number of Blue Wyrms on there too to try and keep my damage up. Obviously I don't want to sacrifice too much DPS for this though, just enough to be able to handle one or two hits if the game lags on us, so I can at least bounce back with a blink, Priest healing, and maybe potions in a really dire situation. I for one am really tired of getting killed by lag.

Also note I don't have the gold and resources yet for Heroic seals, though they could become feasible later on when we have a Guild, if they will make a difference here.

Comments

• HroftzHroftz
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 650
    edited August 22, 2016
    There is no way to increase survivability without heroic seals and making your gear 15-20,forget about consttitution,this stat is supposed to be increased by Heroic Seals,getting constitution instead of other options is the way to gimp yourself.
  • LunaLuciaLunaLucia
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 520
    edited September 1, 2016
    Keep the dark affliction buff up at a full stack and keep mana shield running. Dark affliction refills mana way faster than any spell can deplete it, so (at the cost of a little dps) you can use the entire mana bar as extra health without worrying about running out.

That, or spending days weeks months grinding for heroic gears and seals specifically for your solo equipment.
  • TimeSeerTimeSeer
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,650
    edited September 1, 2016
    LunaLucia
    LunaLucia said:

Keep the dark affliction buff up at a full stack and keep mana shield running. Dark affliction refills mana way faster than any spell can deplete it, so (at the cost of a little dps) you can use the entire mana bar as extra health without worrying about running out.
    That's an interesting method; I admit I've usually avoided Dark Affliction since it winds up interrupting Surging Light(and vice versa), but pairing it with the mana shield could make a pretty big difference from a survival standpoint, depending on how quickly it regenerates mana. This is definitely something worth experimenting with a bit-- though I better test it on slightly weaker enemies first to find out just how much of a difference it makes.
  • ShinobuShinobu
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 555
    edited September 2, 2016
    Like others say, having heroic pets make a huge difference between it increases both your hp and your mana pool. Once you get to near 11k mana, you will see you have more survivability. Should always have a Dark Affliction stack or carry mana pots for when mana pops.
    In the end though, priests will be more tanky since they can self heal as long as they can survive the damage before the heal kicks in. However, as a wizard, you should have no problem clearing dungeons and even face tanking a few powerful hits from the end dungeon bosses.
  • CrowFan01CrowFan01
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,755
    edited September 2, 2016
    Atm I am able to clear H2 FK solo with some luck on the last rondo fight. Getting to rondo is pretty standard as you can kite just about everything. For the first rondo send in a pet to take his first ability then u can frozen blessing his second. Keep your stacks up for regen and kite around until frozen blessin is up again and unleash everything. The only issues I have sometimes are with 2nd Rondo wolf spawns and they just nose dive aggro you without getting cc'd. I have enough dps where i can blow them up in a few seconds with blessing up. From there its just kiting he stops to use alot of abilities so its pretty standard. Always have mana shield up and 5 stacks up. Even if you have 1 mana theoretically and shield is up you will only lose that 1 mana.
  • WIZARDWIZARD
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 850
    edited September 14, 2016
    Tips I have found for surviving:

Temper Robe the most and try to get very high quality one
    (Phys and mag def seem to have diminishing returns that get very bad after 75% dmg reduction so 2200 def points so I stopped there)

Wear rings other than hero rings so that you can have hp/mp/def % rolls
    (I'm at 16k hp 31k mp thanks to nice rings)

Have some cooldown gear so you can pop frozen blessing and blink more

Keep 5 stacks of dark affliction/ecstasy and spec for more mp regen in arcane tree (with 31k mp and 0.7% regen by the time i lose mp and switch to hp for a few seconds my mp is back)

Try defensive pets like phantom/frost/braghin chieftain