[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

[GUIDE] Advanced Berserker Guide 2.0 (PVE/PVP)

VroomVroom
Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,125
edited November 11, 2016 in Berserker

VROOMZERKER GUIDE 2016 - 2.0

OH MAN THE UPDATES. "Well Vroom, whats new?"
Oh nothing just a few things here and there... BLAM BAM SHABAM.
Affected contents will be updated by a orange color. (WOW, MUCH INNOVATION)

I have seen a lot of Berserkers struggling lately, mostly brainlessly charging skills and
watching big numbers fly without truly maximizing DPS to their full potential.

Ever since Riders of Icarus came out, I have been playing Berserker and only Berserker.
After theory crafting with friends and figuring out different strategies and builds;
I have found myself sitting on what is possibly the best build to date for Berserkers in PVE.

I will not be going over skills in this guide, if you do not know your own skills, please read through them and as to what they do.
Thank you for your patience.

(note: This game focuses on pve heavily and thus pvp isn't as important, although, this
build does work beautifully in pvp with practice.)

On that note, here is my guide to you to becoming the next sports-car of a Berserker in Riders of Icarus. (vroom)

Table of contents:

1- Talents
2- Equipment
3- Seals
4- Rotations PVE
5- Pets
6- PVP
7- Rotations PVP
8- Berserker VS Others
9- Group PVP

::::: Talents :::::

Currently there are only a few talents to maximize dps in pve/pvp with War God being one of the better ones.
I will explain in detail as to which ones are bad or good and gave a summary of what you should be running.

Endless Onslaught

Rating: Poor
This talent is useless due to the fact that you will carry out cooldown on most of your
gear for PVP and the fact that cooldown isn't that important in PVE during the current
patch.

Wings of Valor

Rating: Not needed
This talent is only good because of the fact it grants your follow up strike more attack
power. But, with the two other skills being on a long cooldown, its value decreases
heavily in the current patch. It's not good. Arguable in the future.

Combat Power

Rating: Arguable
Not needed, but nonetheless a good buff for pve if you run cooldown. War God is
technically better in this patch in my opinion.

Battle Knowledge

Rating: Why so good?
Definitely and currently the only best talent in the Combat talent tree.
I would definitely take this for pve, the passive is too good to pass. All attacks generate an extra 20 rage and you gain a passive 20% phys def.

Boundless Rage

Rating: Poor
Because Berserkers should have at least 50-60% critical rate, this talent is essentially
useless as our cap is 85%. We can reach this cap with Apocalypse pet and Mighty Roar.

Unquenchable Wrath

Rating: Trash
Reason being, skill damage to high CD skills is bad in general with one requiring distance to use.

War God

Rating: Very Good - Current Patch
Bleed is stupid good with high strength at this stage. Bleed is believed to be calculated
as 1/2 of your strength dps. (not overall dps). War God also allows you to stack bleeds
onto whirling blade (or by itself) while using follow-up strike, leaping strike, and mortal blow.

Aura of Doom

Rating: Very Good - PVP
This talent is only good for PVP, yet its questionable overall because we should already be closed to capped on crit rate to begin with.

Heavy Blade

Rating: Good
Whats more to say? You gain attack power on your full charged attacks which you will be doing a lot.

Tenacity

Rating: Trash
Read it and weep.

God of Destruction

Rating: Very Good
This is a must because you don't even have to worry about capping your crit rate. 10%
Crit rate buff after you use fully charged skill is fantastic. Also, the damage on assault
complex is big, its really nice since you can pair War God to also gain rage back.

Powerful

Rating: IS A MUST
Use this and don't question why... the 20% phys attack passive buff is stupid good. Its like having a hidden ring in your pocket that counts.

I currently run my talents in this order... War God > Battle Knowledge > God of Destruction > > Heavy Blade > Powerful
SóAceitaaKamauCorevusFayalaHakureiBig_IronAlleyanaaaGraf_Bierculafrensesia

Comments

• VroomVroom
    edited October 19, 2016
    ::::: Equipment :::::

STRENGTH
    STRENGTH
    STRENGTH

And more STRENGTH.

Strength is your main stat. The reason you want strength is to make use of the phys attack% buff!

Preferred rolls on Helmet/Chest/Boots are all strength.
    Preferred rolls on Shoulders are Strength/Strength/Cooldown(or cast time).
    Preferred rolls on Gloves are Strength/Strength/Crit Rate.
    Preferred rolls on Crossbow are all crit rate. (PVE)(having all crit rate reduces the need of Garme Seals.)
    Preferred rolls on Lance are Cooldown/Cooldown/Crit Rate (PVP)
    Preferred rolls on Weapon are Strength/Strength/Crit Rate (same with chieftain)

The reason why crossbow is recommended in PVE is because of the stats you can obtain... You cannot obtain COOLDOWN rolls on Crossbows which are crucial in PVP Whereas having a lance with the stats of a crossbow becomes redundant in PVE. (Why not make your life easier and have 1 crossbow for pve and 1 spear for pvp that you can switch out easily?)

(you can also use a crossbow like below for example, weapon also included).

image image

Using Blessed Frost Command Gear is just as good as the new set now.

Also, you could probably do better by having a 3 strength roll helmet and boots Blessed Frost Command for that extra strength boost!
    Physical attack% is based off of your current Strength!

For your necklace you want something similar to these. (Left one is PVE, right one is PVP)
    Main stat for PVE is Physical attack% and Critical Rate%
    Main stat for PVP is cooldown/strength

image image

For rings, stick with Hakanas Hero's Ring x 2. (self explanatory)
    You have the option to switch one out with a ring having phys defence%x3

For those of you who want a RAW(jk low hp) look at my stats and what you could POTENTIALLY achieve:

(physical defense isn't all that needed in PVE due to tanks in party and Phys defence% rings for solo... don't be alarmed)

FOLLOW THIS ORDER.
    overall DPS > Physical Critical % > Physical Critical Damage.
    Crit damage is useless without crit rate, and crit rate is useless without a good overall DPS.

THEY ARE DEPENDENT ON EACH OTHER

MOVING ONWARDS.

::::: Seals :::::

We'll be putting our main focus on Heroic seals in this guide, but if you really wanted to know... from level 25 until 35, use Ruby Bloodwyrms.
    This is an advanced guide. I will not include elite seals, I will only update the best heroic seals for berserker each patch.

Keep in mind with the new solo dungeon lair of ienos, easier to obtain familiars.

KEEP NOTE: You can replace seals when you update your gear, lets say you have 1500 crit damage already (which is good enough) without apocs, replace some apocs with keravs or more crit rate, build according to what you're lacking.

Apocalypse: Your best seal for PVE/PVP. Did someone tell you to use phantom?
    Don't, the 300~ hp is nothing and you gain that through All Stats.
    Stack this , get like 6 Apocalypse Seals.

image image
    Terror Kerav: Big upgrade from Agnas(NOT AGNES) The Red
    You want Kerav's in small quantity, no more than 4

Void Letonsia: Big upgrade from Terror Kerav. Hard to get.

image image
    Garme: The fabled Garme... Karresh is a small upgrade from Garme, and much harder to obtain.
    Therefore, why not just stick with Garme.

Karresh: You can now get Karresh decently easier, therefore he is much more worth it with the small upgrade in all stats.

Use these only to help you get that extra oomph to hit 50-60% crit rate.

::::: Rotation :::::

YOU GONNA LEARN TODAY. PAY ATTENTION.

Double Slash Cancelling. DSC for short. This is where your main source of damage will be coming from, (its how I'm pulling aggro on raid bosses)

From the youtube video above, you can first see white numbers and immediately after,
    yellow numbers. With enough practice, you can cancel just as fast as this guy.
    Now, in order to double slash cancel, you need to follow these exact steps below...

Step 1: Double Slash
    Step 2: Immediately move to the right or left
    Step 3: Wait until you just about see the white numbers
    Step 4: Immediately Double Slash
    Step 5: Repeat from Step 2

DSC will be your filler and most of the time, your fastest source of damage all the way to level 60.
    With my build and gear I can currently dish out 10k crit auto attacks and 10k crit double slashes in FK H5.

note: Using follow-up strike after you crit with DSC becomes very strong if you are using the War God talent. If you are not, you are better off only doing DSC.

Another thing to do is to charge your skills accordingly to activate/proc the dignified buff.
    Here's a basic rotation (keep in mind this is all for PVE)

image > image > image MAX > image MAX > image MAX > (on CRIT) image > image
    image >image > image > image OR (on CRIT)image

Always cancel your FURY brute smash with follow-up strike or double slash. Always do this unless you are destabilizing.
    After that rotation is done, DSC until however long you want, until you
    feel like doing fury again. (i get lazy and rather do more damage per second).

note: Using follow-up strike really only becomes useful if you have the War God talent because it makes your enemy bleed.

This next rotation is purely for destabilizing & stacking your dignify buffs infinitely.

image > image > image MAX > image MAX > image MAX > (on CRIT) image > image MAX > image MAX

Repeat the last two until whirling blade is back up.

Below is my sloppy no sleep crisp clear of Frost Keep H2 (15 minute run)

MastasFayalaHakureiBig_IronGraf_Bierculafrensesia
  • VroomVroom
    edited October 18, 2016
    ::::: Pets :::::

A lot of you seem to only be using one pet.
    Why would you do this when you could benefit from a lot of different pet buffs and situational passives?

Here are the pets that I personally found the most effective:

Twilight Rabbini Strongest pet in-game for any class right now! 23% hp, 9% overall defence, 30% overall attack, and to top it all off... 5% overall crit rate. No doubt, the best pet any class can have. No ifs, no buts, if you left this poor sucker go early, R.I.P

Apocalypse is most definitely the strongest pet you can have if you do not carry over 70% crit rate.
    The reason being is, without crit rate, there won't be as much big numbers with this build. Rendering your crit damage useless.
    However, Rondo Is yes, the best pet if you do achieve over 70% crit rate already as a Berserker.

The active buff for Apocalypse also aids you to get out of sticky situations or to facilitate movement.

Golden Laiku, if this little guy isn't already a pet, MAKE HIM ONE ASAP.
    Golden Laiku's active buff is what makes him a great pet for us.
    He can practically cap out your crit rate for (3 minutes, a regular boss fight) if paired with Apocalypse.

His active also aids the builds with less crit rate.

Phantom, the only use this little guy brings us is TANKING!
    What? You didn't think a zerk could tank without blowing up?
    Phantom brings an excellent passive buff giving 28% health and physical defence while also increasing your movement speed by 20%!

Phantom makes a great pet whilst trying to solo dungeons. -cough- (new solo dungeon maybe?)

Agnas, the alternative tanking pet to Phantom, and also good to have regardless.
    Agnas's passive buffs provide 25% phys defense and 23% phys attack.

Keep in mind he also has a stupid good 20 second buff which gives you +20% crit!

I know what you might say, why is it lvl 6? Because he shouldn't be used much but is useful nonetheless.
    The reason why Leorid is so good; it's his PVP potential. HE HAS THREE STUNS.
    Ever wanted to lock someone down? Is someone using a pet in duels? Make them cry with Leorid!

Also he has a decent %health buff passive.

MOVING ON TO MOUNTS.

You should really only be using movement mounts...
    Mounted combat isn't that important until future updates. (where there will be new mounts)

From left to right, my flying mount and ground mount.

image image

Reason being, they both have movement buff actives and they run pretty damn fast EVERYWHERE.
    You can replace Silver Laiku with Golden Laiku or Agnas The Red. You can also replace Skeron with Phantom, Garme or even Apocalypse. Apocalypse is currently the fastest mount in game.
    MastasFayalaHakureiGraf_Bierculafrensesia
  • VroomVroom
    edited October 16, 2016
    ::::: PVP :::::

Ahhhh, the world of PVP. So dead, yet still there...

Alright so first things first, if you're a Berserker and you're complaining that you're dying too fast, you probably aren't blocking or, your gear sucks. You should not be reading this section if you can say yes to the following:

- Don't know skills.
    - Don't have proper gear.
    - Don't have 40-50% cdr.
    - Don't have proper pets.

If you said yes to these 3, move back up the guide to help you get ready.

Alright so your main goal as a Berserker in one on one PVP is to LOCK-DOWN your oponent! That means CDR is a MUST.
    In the following video, you will see exactly what I mean by locking down your opponent. ( GO TO 2:22 )
    I'll try uploading my own in the future. :)

Lets go through a couple useless skills in PVP... (for now)

- Double Slash -

This skill isn't great in PVP because it provides NO CC.
    Although it does provide rage, its too slow to even make use of it in a combo(currently).

- Brute Smash -

This skill, isn't great in PVP either, do to it being TOO SLOW. It doesn't provide a fast enough CC to combo with.
    If it were instant and knocked down, boom, it would have made the cut.

::::: Rotations PVP :::::

WE GONNA RE-LEARN TODAY. PAY ATTENTION!
    (KEEP NOTE: ALWAYS HAVE MIGHTY ROAR [ image ] UP)

|| Staple Repeated CC ||
    image > image > image (MAX) > image(1) > image(2) > image > image > image(MAX)

KEEP IN MIND: If Shoulder Charge was used before in another combo, use your thunderous kick instead(a.k.a skip to step 2)

You can practically use these skills in any order really, one thing to note is that I personally do not use the 3rd hit of assault complex due to running War God as a talent. Using mortal blow becomes much more beneficial for me after the 2nd hit as it stacks bleed and also knocks down.

You want to then move to one of the following combos that suits your current situation.

|| Basic combo #1 (Close Combat Opener) ||
    image > image > image > image > image

First we start off with fury thrust, then we move on to shoulder bash (to knockdown and gain rage) afterwards
    we follow up with rising cutter(2 or 3 charges depending on your cast speed).

From here, we can assume the other player will use counterattack. That's where we pop-off and use our beloved WARCRY.
    LEARN THIS. Whenever someone uses their counterattack use image. Don't use it at any other time, except in GROUP PVP.

If you are skilled enough, if you can tell whether or not the enemy will lash out with their counterattack, you can block it, rendering them dazed and the best part is you don't get knocked down!

|| Basic combo #2 (Gap Closer Opener) ||
    image > image > image (MAX) > image

This combo is good because it makes use of our dignified buff! WOW. (procs PVP debuff and adds bleed to the target if using war god talent).
    At this point you have two choices, repeated CC, or if you see them use counterattack, you can pop your fear.
    Repeated CC is only an option when you know the enemy has no counterattack.

|| Bleed stack combo (ONLY IF YOU RUN WAR GOD TALENT) ||
    (note: this combo only works 100% if you crit accordingly)
    image > image > image > image (MAX) > image > image(1) > image(2) > image > image > image > image

Since I am personally running War God talent, and at this point, most of you should, I will be showing you the master bleed combo...
    This is probably the best way to utilize your bleed in PVP to always have it up. You'll be shredding through Guardians with ease and practically anyone else who dares to take you on with puny shields or stupid high defense.

|| Experimental (ONLY IF YOU RUN POWERFUL TALENT) ||
    image > image > image(1) > image(2)(cancel move) > image(cancel) > image(1) > image(2) > image

::::: Berserker VS Others :::::
    Coming soon.

::::: Group PVP :::::

Wow, group PVP... isn't this the epitome of PVP we all wished to destroy faces in.
    Here's all you need to know.

As a Berserker, your job is to peel for your squishy classes (i.e mages/priests) & to lock down tanks (manastone battle purposes)
    Here's a perfect example scenario... Look at the start of this video, we wait to see who is going where, and since assassins kill squishies fast, we protect our wizards/priests.

Believe or not, you can also save people from death with 3 different skills! Gust Cut to stagger, Warcry to fear, and your block to stagger! Most classes melee skills have some sort of aoe... This is where block comes in handy for not only you but also your party.
    HakureiMastasBig_Iron
  • VroomVroom
    edited October 17, 2016
    ======== UPDATE LOG ========
     Vroomzerker 2.0 by Vroom

1.1.5 : Clarified seal building.
    1.1.4 : Updated new Group PVP section. (small) Added new experimental combo.
    1.1.3 : Added new pet(s) to the pet section, fixed some gear info, added new seals.
    1.1.2 : Added new banner, updated talent ratings, updated main section
    1.1.1 : New talents added.
    1.1.0 : UPCOMING UPDATE FOR OCTOBER 5th will be adding more talents! New skill combos! New Gear! MORE!
    1.0.3 : Added content to the PVP section. Combos/Situational tactics.
    ------- Including and not limited to, group PVP.
    1.0.2 : Clarified a few points in seals and gear.
    1.0.1 : Added new solo video showing the strength of this build, adding in pvp section. [DELAYED]
    ===== TOP IS MOST RECENT =====

I have decided to give back to the community and to show that, we are not bad people.
    I am not a bad person. Some people have been asking for help and I thought I'd whip this up for you all.

I hope this guide can help everyone become better as a Berserker in PVE and PVP.
    With Berserker currently being one of the best running classes in Korea. It is in my best intentions to help you master the class.

I will also be updating this guide EACH UPDATE. (Including the upcoming level 40 patch)
    I hope you like the guide. See you out on the field Riders.

If you found this helpful, please show your thanks by hitting that like button or insightful if you loved it!
    FayalaTazzieHakureiMastasBig_Iron1pwny
  • VroomVroom
    edited October 4, 2016
    RESERVED
  • SóAceitaaSóAceitaa
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 485
    edited September 6, 2016
    Hey Vroom,
    I do not agree with some things but still is very effective your build.
    This Zerk forum needs more active, maybe your build encourage it.
    Regardless of taste, think about pets, I suggest that you should include Rondo and Carleon.

hug.
  • VroomVroom
    edited September 6, 2016
    SóAceitaa

Hey Vroom,
    Regardless of taste, think about pets, I suggest that you should include Rondo and Carleon.

hug.
    Hey Aceitaa,

I have taken into consideration Rondon and Carleon. I have found they are not such viable pets compared to others for the Berserker.
    Rondo, although great, if you have capped crit rate, go for it. He is a great attacking pet.
    However, if you do not have at least 70% crit rate. It is better to have Apocalypse out due to the passive buff it provides.

Carleon offers less than Apocalypse and his buff is too small to make a noticeable impact.
    Therefore, I haven't included him.

Thanks for reading and I hope you found some things useful. :)
  • hjkhjk
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,105
    edited September 6, 2016
    Vroom
    Vroom said:

SóAceitaa

Hey Vroom,

hug.
    Hey Aceitaa,

I have taken into consideration Rondon and Carleon. I have found they are not such viable pets compared to others for the Berserker.
    Rondo, although great, if you have capped crit rate, go for it. He is a great attacking pet.
    However, if you do not have at least 70% crit rate. It is better to have Apocalypse out due to the passive buff it provides.

Carleon offers less than Apocalypse and his buff is too small to make a noticeable impact.

The 20% hp is just too good to not take. 9% crit chance, tbh with sealed and good bow, you easily have 60-70 crit chance + with your buffs, you go to 80% easily. Rondo is by far the best pet in the game for almost all classes atm.
    Vroom
  • VroomVroom
    edited September 6, 2016
    hjk
    hjk said:

Vroom
    Vroom said:

SóAceitaa

Hey Vroom,

hug.
    Hey Aceitaa,

The 20% hp is just too good to not take. 9% crit chance, tbh with sealed and good bow, you easily have 60-70 crit chance + with your buffs, you go to 80% easily. Rondo is by far the best pet in the game for almost all classes atm.
    Rondo is only best if you have 70% crit chance. I'll include it in my guide but with that restriction. If you're also focusing too much on crit chance via gloves or bow or seals. You're missing out on damage.

I originally didn't include it because of this. I have 61% crit, and I personally would rather carry 70% crit chance with apocalypse out.
    The new bow will change the way we see things. Trust me. :)

Also, please keep in note, HP in PVE isn't necessarily something you need at this current stage.
    If you are soloing, you should have phantom out for bosses who melee. No current magic defense% + hp % pet for magic bosses sadly.

Thanks for your patience.

• CreamCream
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 22,105
    Forum Moderator, Council Member
    edited September 6, 2016
    Thank you for aiding the community with this guide. Hopefully many members will benefit from this good work. Thank you Rider!
    VroomAlleyanaaa
  • VroomVroom
    edited September 9, 2016
    For some reason the second page has started, so please go to the first page. :3
    Mastas
  • RabidScholarRabidScholar
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 865
    edited September 12, 2016
    I may have missed it but from where does your all your health come from? I've been playing around with different things and I haven't set any heroic familiars yet but I'm struggling getting over 6k. Between blocking and a few other moves I survive well enough but more health would be beneficial.
  • VroomVroom
    edited September 12, 2016
    RabidScholar

I may have missed it but from where does your all your health come from? I've been playing around with different things and I haven't set any heroic familiars yet but I'm struggling getting over 6k. Between blocking and a few other moves I survive well enough but more health would be beneficial.
    Ah yes the coveted health to live through a few hits to the head. Heroic seals do give you all stat bonuses, we have access to around 14 heroic seals if were not using legendary gear. 14x20(all stats average) gives us 280 constitution, every point in constitution gives us 30 hp, so 280x30 = 8400 hp. We should also get a decent amount from our frost command set bonus, 1140 hp giving us a total of 9540 hp extra.

Note; the stats I have is pretty much end game before the legendary gear patch. I can assure you one could get around 6k dps as berserker now. :P
  • hjkhjk
    edited September 13, 2016
    RabidScholar

Full heroic seal give you the hp you need, plus the hp bonus you get from buffs, you can go up to 16-17k easily. :) Atm heroics seal are very very cheap, if you want to seal, it's the best moment, or buy some of them for next gears
  • VroomVroom
    hjk
    hjk said:

RabidScholar

Full heroic seal give you the hp you need, plus the hp bonus you get from buffs, you can go up to 16-17k easily. :) Atm heroics seal are very very cheap, if you want to seal, it's the best moment, or buy some of them for next gears
    No real need to buy anything anymore, Lair of Lenos will give you pretty much everything overtime. It's kind of sad :C Although, very helpful for the new players just coming in.
  • hjkhjk
    Vroom
    Vroom said:

hjk
    hjk said:

RabidScholar

No real need to buy anything anymore, Lair of Lenos will give you pretty much everything overtime. It's kind of sad :C Although, very helpful for the new players just coming in.
    If you are f2p it doesn't give 'everything'. So far i got only 1 heroic since release of lair. Do not count on lair to get heroics, and only a few of them are good for X class.
    Mastas
  • VroomVroom
    hjk
    hjk said:

Vroom
    Vroom said:

hjk
    hjk said:

RabidScholar

If you are f2p it doesn't give 'everything'. So far i got only 1 heroic since release of lair. Do not count on lair to get heroics, and only a few of them are good for X class.
    Oh but they do make you money and it is worth doing them on a everyday basis, with the new patch coming, all you need to do is do Lair and AFK at this point aha. Get what I mean? Uploaded the video now...
  • hjkhjk
    edited September 14, 2016
    Vroom
    Vroom said:

hjk
    hjk said:

Vroom
    Vroom said:

hjk
    hjk said:

RabidScholar

Oh but they do make you money and it is worth doing them on a everyday basis, with the new patch coming, all you need to do is do Lair and AFK at this point aha. Get what I mean? Uploaded the video now...
    who told you that they'll put new mounts in lair when new update will come out ? You can also say 'hey in 5 months when we get lv60 cap, we'll get everything for free'. It's the same logic but totally stupid. Yes, lv60 they'll probably give free heroics from old areas for free as dailies like in korea, but hf waiting. :-)
    Mastas
  • VroomVroom
    edited September 14, 2016
    hjk
    hjk said:

Vroom
    Vroom said:

hjk
    hjk said:

Vroom
    Vroom said:

hjk
    hjk said:

RabidScholar

who told you that they'll put new mounts in lair when new update will come out ? You can also say 'hey in 5 months when we get lv60 cap, we'll get everything for free'. It's the same logic but totally stupid. Yes, lv60 they'll probably give free heroics from old areas for free as dailies like in korea, but hf waiting. :-)
    What? I'm literally saying in order to be ready for the new update which is in approx 13 days, all you need to do to be ready for next patch is to farm out Lenos. O_O

I wasn't referring to anything we would be doing in the future and wasn't bashing the game. Whats the issue?

• SuppradolSuppradol
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 520
    edited September 15, 2016
    Nice guide but.. can you explain a bit more? For example, can you explain where to put the seals? And WHY to choose Apoc instead of full Kerav? And WHY i need to use Crossbow for PVE and Spear for PVP?
This discussion has been closed.