[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Familiar Tempering by Rockyfeler

RockyfelerRockyfeler
Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,905
edited February 8, 2017 in Mount Collection and Combat
Server: Akaldus
IGN: Rockyfeler
Category: Familiar Tempering

First of all, I would like to mention that I do recommend you to start tempering familiars only when you reach level 35 or above.
The reasons are clear, you will find them once you get through the guide.

1. Basics
2. Getting all the ingredients
2.1 - Sealing
3. Tempering
4. Bonuses
5. List of stats

1. BASICS

The maximum rank of familiar tempering at this moment is +5.
The first step to start tempering your familiars (both mounts and pets included) is to have a familiar on max level. You won´t be able to temper them until they reach their maximum level. To check if your familiar is max level, just open up your familiar storage. On the left you will have his level, while in the right corner there is the tempering tool.

2. GETTING ALL THE INGREDIENTS

After you have your chosen familiar on max level, you will need sealed familiars and Familiar Enhancers to begin. You can buy these Enhancers by the Barder Craft Merchant at Hakains Crossing or on your farm. Each costs 1 gold.

The amount of Enhancers you will need depends on what grade /Common, Elite, Heroic, Legendary/ is your familiar, and what tempering level he already has.
I did not try the Common familiars, but let me be honest, you won´t either as it costs money and they are just not worth it.

For Elite familiars, the first rank of tempering requires 7 Enhancers, the second 14 and so on.

For Heroics, the first rank requires 10, the second 20, and so on. So, to temper a Heroic familiar to +5, you will need at least 150 of these Familiar Enhancers.

For Legendary familiars, the first rank requires 12, the second 24, and so on.

Keep in mind that there is a chance to fail tempering, so you will probably need even more. The good thing is that even if you fail, the rank will not go down. It works the same way as tempering your armor to +10.

As I mentioned before, you will also need sealed familiars. You can use any kind of seal, let it be Common, Elite or Heroic. But if you want to temper a Heroic pet/ mount, you should use Elite seals, or, if you have enough money, Heroic seals. If you want to save up as much money as possible, I recommend you to go to Hakanas Highlands, tame and seal some Ruby Bloodwyrms and Blue Bloodwyrms. The reason behind this is basically because they are very easy to tame, they do not need any marks to tame and they give you the same chance as any Elite mount in Parnas Coast or Tritael Rift. But, if you are too lazy to go there, you can just run the Lair of Ieons daily, and if there is no Heroic or Elite you want, just grab anything, seal him up and you can use it to temper your familiar. Or, if you need more seals and you want to save up some taming points, go to Broken Caldera, do the repeatable quest for a Phoenix Flare, tame some Caldera Firebeaks and you are done. The reason behind this is while you need 15 points for other Elites, the Firebeak requires only 4 points on each tame. The level of the sealed familiar does not matter, you are totally free to use level 1 seals as they are the same as level 30 at this moment.
(Again, thanks for the tip!)

2.1 SEALING

A quick guide if someone never sealed a familiar before.
While for Common familiars you can get Seal Stones from various Shopper or Groceries, for Elite familiars you will have to run some dungeons or hunt down a few elite monsters. Although, I do recommend you to run the dungeons as you can get more stuff from there. Basically, any Heroic dungeon can drop these seal stones, but if you are not well geared yet, I do recommend you to go Lavaligh Heroic V where you can obtain it pretty easily. It is getting harder if you are looking for a Heroic Seal Stone, as they are pretty rare in lower dungeons. But if you are running The Frost Keep on Heroic V, almost always drops one. Or you can go on world bosses.
Now, how to actually seal a familiar when you get the seal stone? Simple as it is, just right click on the seal stone then select the familiar you want to seal. Keep in mind that with Elite Seal Stones you can only seal up Common or Elite familiars, while with Heroic you can seal up both these + Heroics.

3. TEMPERING

When you have all the ingredients, you can start your tempering. There are 3 grades of chances on tempering: Low, Medium and High. You are always looking to get your chances on High. The higher level the familiar has, the more sealed familiars you will need to get the High chance. It is also going up as you get a higher tempering rank on your familiar. On the screen below, I had to use 3 Elites to make my chances High on Karasha without any tempering rank on her.

While Karasha needs 3 Elites, Heroics from Parna are fine with 2 Elite seals. If you want to temper an elite familiar, even Commons will be enough. If you are lucky and you get a Legendary familiar, you will definitely need at least Heroic seals as they are the highest grade in the game.

4. BONUSES

And now, the big thing, why you should temper your pets or mounts. As the image with tempering Karasha shows, your mount gets some nice bonuses such as bonus HP, Energy, Movement Speed, Defense, and for flying mounts even Altitude. Basically, tempering makes your familiars stronger and better to use in combat.

To have a nice example: I play as a Priest, and while I have nice sustain, my damage is kinda low, so it takes quite long to solo some dungeons like The Frost Keep or Cavern of the Veil. Usually everyone uses pets in dungeons just as a tool to get some buffs. If you temper a pet (in my case it was Rondo), you can get a pretty decent battle companion. The increased Health and Defense allows him to solo a few mobs, and if there are 2 minibosses, he can pretty easily tank one of them while I get rid of the other one.

As for the mounts, the best example is probably a flying mount which you need mainly in Tritael Rift. Some people were sad that they can not use Golden Laiku anymore as his altitude is pretty low (600m), so even if he was one of the fastest mounts, he was pretty useless there. Now, you can get his altitude up to 850m thanks to tempering, + 100m if you give him a Heroic set. He also gains more Speed and Energy, so he can become your flying mount for some time again. The same goes to every flying mount. So, if you want to get to Jumawu which is in 1000m, but you only have a Kerav and you do not want to use a Title to increase your maximum altitude, just temper him to +1 and he will be able to fly up to Jumawu without any problem.

Just to compare what stats are different on tempered mounts, here is a screen where you can clearly see what you get.

The last reason why you should temper your familiars is mainly for those who are looking for the best gear in the game. While tempering a familiar gives him nice buffs with every level, tempering a Heroic to +5 also gives some bonus stats when you are going to seal it up. For example, if you have a sealed Void Kargyle, it gives you 101-136 Magic attack + 20-24 All stats bonus. Now, if you temper him to +5, you will get all these bonuses +4-5 All stat bonus. While 4-5 is not a high number, once you will get these tempered seals in your slots, it can go up to 80 (or even more) and thats a decent number already.

Edit2: Thank you for the screenshot repairment, direct screens added again! :)
PperkRyderRahkyvahSinful_Bl1ssYllmathir1pwnyJadedGypsyXzystDuanaGriselbrandand 5 others.

Comments

• RockyfelerRockyfeler
    edited December 7, 2016

COMPLETE LIST OF STATS

First, I would like to show the difference between seal stats that were tempered to +5. Every Heroic should have the same amount of bonus All stats which is +4-5, while Legendary familiars should have +6-8 bonus All stats. Unfortunately I do not own any Legendary that can be sealed up, so I have no proof for that. But here you have the Heroic at least:

HEROIC

Land familiars

+1:
    Move Speed +3%
    Max EP +5%
    Health +50%
    Overall Defense +50%

+2:
    Move Speed +1%
    Max EP +7%
    Health +33%
    Overall Defense +33%
    Base Health Regen +25%

+3
    Move Speed +1%
    Max EP +12%
    Health +35%
    Overall Defense +35%
    Base Health Regen +27%

+4
    Move Speed +1%
    Max EP +17%
    Health +37%
    Overall Defense +37%

+5
    Move Speed +1%
    Max EP +14%
    Health +35%
    Overall Defense +35%
    Base Health Regen +25%

Aerial familiars

+1:
    Familiar Altitude +50
    Max EP +5%
    Health +50%
    Overall Defense +50%

+2

+3

+4

+5

LEGENDARY

Land familiars

+1:
    Move Speed +4%
    Max AP +6%
    Health +50%
    Overall Defense +50%

+2

+3

+4

+5

Aerial familiars

Unfortunately it is definitely not a complete list, I still have no legendary flying mount and Im pretty low on budget at the moment, so if you know any of the stats Im still missing, please, feel free to post them or send me a message so I could add them.
    1pwnyXzystRoadrunnerKZSKRyderRanZerGlezZZFayala
  • RoadrunnerKZSKRoadrunnerKZSK
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 330
    edited February 8, 2017
    Excellent article, thank you!
    Rockyfeler
  • RockyfelerRockyfeler
    edited February 8, 2017
    Thank you, happy to help as always! :-)
  • KaikoonKaikoon
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,760
    edited July 8, 2017
    You wrote: The level of the sealed familiar does not matter, you are totally free to use level 1 seals as they are the same as level 30 at this moment.

That is not correct. The Level indeed matters.

The cap is around lvl 25 or 30 or so.

To temper a Legendary Familiar to rank 1 you will Need 2 Level 1 heroic seals for a HIGH Chance or 1 lvl 30 (around) heroic seal.
    I write this from my own experience.

Anyway, thank you very much for your article, and all the effort you put into it. The game Needs People like you.