[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.

Help I can't choose between assasin or ranger !

DarkbearDarkbear
Riders of Icarus Rep: 510
edited December 22, 2016 in Ranger
Hi !
Someone can say wich is the best ? Whohave the better DPS ? and who is better for solo ?

Thanks !
W00H00T
  1. Wich is the best DPS ?22 votes
    1. Assasin
       32% (7 votes)
    2. Ranger
       68% (15 votes)

Comments

• G00ByPLsG00ByPLs
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 950
    edited December 22, 2016
    Ranger easier/more safer cause of range (duh). Assassin more damage if always attacking with critical hits due to skill % increase, but you'll be spamming your dodge into skill a lot.
  • KesstrylKesstryl
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 4,775
    edited December 23, 2016
    Ranger is definitely by far much easier in terms of progression, and very fun. My main is a Sin, and it was much harder to progress with one due to how squishy they are. They have to be in close combat, but dodge constantly to avoid getting one shot. As long as there's a good tank in the group, that's mostly not a problem (but you will also have to dodge if the tank loses aggro because you spanked an incredible amount of dps) so holding back can be critical too. Very hard to solo a sin. Very easy to solo a ranger. I have no clue how their dps compares though. Sin is probably better in terms of dps to make up for how squishy they are. My ranger is not high enough level to compare with my sin.
  • ReleRele
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,850
    edited December 28, 2016
    Raw DPS:
    Sin >>> Ranger

Counting from lv. 50 sin and ranger with karasha gear and heroic seals, sin just has way more dps, flashcut on 0.8 sec cd hurts alot,
    while he also stacks a not bad ticking bleed, the crit increase is also an upside to ranger, who unless you play him on full bow will hover around 55% crit only, and at last, the sin got a passive 30% aggro reduction by talents, making it harder to take aggro from the tank, the ranger got no skill to reduce aggro as far as i have tested yet,

Defense:
    Ranger > Sin

Ranger got a 4 sec 100% dodge buff on his backflip, which has a 2 sec cd on 50% cdr, and a heal/5 sec invul on his raven in vembrace,

sin got 2 sec dodge on any dash, that can have downtimes,
    bouth ping depending, good ping and they bouth can dodge 99% of the attacks in the game infinitely,

How ever, the sin can dodge mid air, and avoid skills from flying mobs, while the archer needs to be on the ground,

For solo:
    ranger = sin

it depends more on how well you play the classes, and on personal preference,
    only upside for the ranger would be that he got a small heal, which the sin will get on later levels,
    and maybe slightly better aoe clear, if the mob group exeedes 10 mobs,
    Draconiya
  • AslamAslam
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 540
    edited December 28, 2016
    ReleRele said:Raw DPS:
    Sin >>> Ranger

Counting from lv. 50 sin and ranger with karasha gear and heroic seals, sin just has way more dps, flashcut on 0.8 sec cd hurts alot,
    while he also stacks a not bad ticking bleed, the crit increase is also an upside to ranger, who unless you play him on full bow will hover around 55% crit only, and at last, the sin got a passive 30% aggro reduction by talents, making it harder to take aggro from the tank, the ranger got no skill to reduce aggro as far as i have tested yet,

Defense:
    Ranger > Sin

Ranger got a 4 sec 100% dodge buff on his backflip, which has a 2 sec cd on 50% cdr, and a heal/5 sec invul on his raven in vembrace,

bouth ping depending, good ping and they bouth can dodge 99% of the attacks in the game infinitely,

How ever, the sin can dodge mid air, and avoid skills from flying mobs, while the archer needs to be on the ground,

For solo:
    ranger = sin

only upside for the ranger would be that he got a small heal, which the sin will get on later levels,

Well, ranger dont have a small heal, he have a massive Heal, he can heal up tp 60%(2 Heal Skills) and have a defensive Stance. He can clear big groups of Mobs with good AOE Skills. One of the Healing skill is Group Heal, we can go with 2 rangers to dungeons without priests..
    Never played a Sin, but my Ranger can do much more damage than my Wizard in his level.
    Minimuecke
  • ReleRele
    edited December 28, 2016
    Aslam
    Aslam said:

Well, ranger dont have a small heal, he have a massive Heal, he can heal up tp 60%(2 Heal Skills) and have a defensive Stance. He can clear big groups of Mobs with good AOE Skills. One of the Healing skill is Group Heal, we can go with 2 rangers to dungeons without priests..
    Never played a Sin, but my Ranger can do much more damage than my Wizard in his level.
    30% Raven, 3 times 15% with trap if skilled, 10% aoe party heal if nexon would fix the masteries,
    tho the trap only heals if either party members are close or you hit an enemy, does not seem to heal you out of combat,

Wizard has indead lower dmg, already startet to take over from any wiz kiting carleon or ember golem, on L diff,

but sin still outclasses ranger,
  • AslamAslam
    edited December 28, 2016
    Rele
    Rele said:

Aslam
    Aslam said:

30% Raven, 3 times 15% with trap if skilled, 10% aoe party heal if nexon would fix the masteries,
    tho the trap only heals if either party members are close or you hit an enemy, does not seem to heal you out of combat,

Wizard has indead lower dmg, already startet to take over from any wiz kiting carleon or ember golem, on L diff,

but sin still outclasses ranger,
    Dont know how much damage a Sin can do, but probably is good to balance because its a melee class. As a Ranger I can solo all dungeon without ever get hit...

PS. About Crit Rate, I think with good gear, all classe get 80%+, so it doesnt matter much...
  • Mattking93Mattking93
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,270
    edited December 29, 2016
    Rele
    Rele said:

Raw DPS:
    Sin >>> Ranger

Defense:
    Ranger > Sin

For solo:
    ranger = sin

Actually in my experience, Rangers outclass Assassins in DPS...
  • AslamAslam
    edited December 29, 2016
    Rangers have a skill that reduce boss defenses, so the party Will do more damage with Rangers, and with healings its a nice support with very high dps.
  • saerdryl2saerdryl2
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 310
    edited January 1, 2017
    i have the 2, and the assassin is more fun and more spectacular when u play it. ranger is good too but different. i prefer the assassin. It s a little harder to play . u can t heal u.
    Draconiya
  • ReleRele
    edited January 4, 2017
    saerdryl2
    saerdryl2 said:

i have the 2, and the assassin is more fun and more spectacular when u play it. ranger is good too but different. i prefer the assassin. It s a little harder to play . u can t heal u.
    Archer is like, press lmb, and maybe 2 skills once in a while^^,
    tho assasins will get some kind of healing later, not to strong but something if i remember correctly.
  • AslamAslam
    edited January 5, 2017
    Rele
    Rele said:

saerdryl2
    saerdryl2 said:

tho assasins will get some kind of healing later, not to strong but something if i remember correctly.
    I use alot of Bottoms, more than 6 all the time, and never use LMB...
  • ReleRele
    edited January 5, 2017
    Aslam
    Aslam said:

Rele
    Rele said:

saerdryl2
    saerdryl2 said:

Standart mode?^^
    got the normal arrow combo on lmb, which with enouth cdr has no cooldown, and also seems to do more dmg than spamming most skills, tho that depends on talents.
  • AslamAslam
    edited January 5, 2017
    Rele
    Rele said:

Aslam
    Aslam said:

Rele
    Rele said:

saerdryl2
    saerdryl2 said:

Standart mode?^^
    got the normal arrow combo on lmb, which with enouth cdr has no cooldown, and also seems to do more dmg than spamming most skills, tho that depends on talents.
    Action Mode< it does alot of Damage but mostRanger Skills are AOE so it is worth to clean alot of mob group, Assassin dont have many AoE skills.
    Normal hit, hits like 5k5k,14k,22k
    Skills hits like 35k-40k...
  • DraconiyaDraconiya
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,550
    edited January 6, 2017
    Aslam
    Aslam said:

Rele
    Rele said:

Aslam
    Aslam said:

Rele
    Rele said:

saerdryl2
    saerdryl2 said:

Standart mode?^^
    Action Mode< it does alot of Damage but mostRanger Skills are AOE so it is worth to clean alot of mob group, Assassin dont have many AoE skills.
    Normal hit, hits like 5k5k,14k,22k
    Skills hits like 35k-40k...
    -------- QUOTE END --------

Where do you get the idea Assassins don't have many AoEs? Let me count.

Big AoEs:
    - Moonlight Edge (5 hit combo, last hit launches enemies hit into the air)
    - Whirling Blades (5 hit combo, hits all enemies around the player)
    - Danger Zone (AoE DoT zone created below the player for 15 seconds, links with Blade Storm and increases it's damage by 50%)
    - Blade Storm (4m AoE around the player, high damage (10k per hit) if combined with Danger Zone, multiple hits, launches enemies without stability)

Smaller AoEs:
    - Flash Cut (can be spammed on a 1 second CD, when within the evasion boost from a dash it slashes through multiple mobs and damages all within range)
    - Dagger Rush (basically the same as Flash Cut, but on a 7 second CD, is an AoE no matter if the player dashed or not)
    - Ankle Breaker (can be activated after Thorn Kick, damages all enemies directly in front of you, ca. 6 second CD)
    - Axial Launch (launches enemies without stability and damages all mobs directly in front of the player, pretty useless because high stamina cost and low damage, unless you have the blue talent for it, then it increases attack by 20% for 5 seconds)

I'm not the most well geared Assassin, but I still do more damage than what you listed there.
    (The following list is assuming every hit crits, which is quite realistic considering my crit rate and the further increases some skill combinations give us.)

Smaller skills: 10k-24k depending on the skill, defense of the mob, the player's current buffs/debuffs and if they're behind the mob or not. If the skill hits multiple times (like Axial Launch or Ankle Breaker) the total damage is split up between the hits.

Heavy-hitting skills: Final hits can go up to 63k (that's my current record), but usually never hit below 32k. The first four hits deal between 15k and 25k damage. (Whirling Blades.) Every hit deals between 15k and 25k damage, no difference between first, middle, or final hits. (Moonlight Edge.)

What I'm trying to say here, is that all of our strongest skills are in fact AoEs. The ranger might have bigger AoE shots, but that is to compensate for the fact that mobs will probably not be grouped together as close while chasing after a Ranger in the distance, than if they were trying to attack an Assassin in their middle.

I played both classes, and dropped Ranger at lvl 20. It just became a bit... boring to me. Skills took way to long to charge/cast, and every skill kind of looked the same. Also, kiting was repetitive as heck. But I might be biased, because I mained a sin for months now.
    Hawkeyebrow
  • KesstrylKesstryl
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 4,775
    edited January 9, 2017
    After leveling up my Ranger and having a Sin as my main, the Ranger is now my main. That's all I can say. The Sin is definitely a powerhouse in terms of DPS, but you have to have the best gear, best seals, best everything to stay alive, and not miss a key. The Ranger is much more forgiving, and still packs a good whallup.
  • YetskiiYetskii
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,215
    edited January 12, 2017
    Cannot beat a Sin for straight up DPS.

I have lvl 50 Sin and Ranger
  • EntrenchedsoulEntrenchedsoul
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,030
    edited March 9, 2017
    played assassin im not a very dodgy player so I couldn't get into it as well as others. planting my feet with ranger is way easier then dong so with sin. i've died so much on sin within the first 15 levels its not even funny ranger I might die but its because I have 3 or 4 enemies surrounding me (low level less aoe to work with). I cant see myself being fulltime sin until I master out my other characters. priest/guardian/ranger. I don't like zerkers in most games, I don't care much for mages but I might try them eventually. assassin was just a trial play sometimes assassns are enjoyable, I don't think people new to assassin/ninja/rogue classes should jump in... lots of death lots of respawns lots of annoyance.

people who are more dodgy good for you double tapping those buttons constantly is boring for me. why battle when you need to constantly dodge away or run away :s
  • HawkeyebrowHawkeyebrow
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 780
    edited March 9, 2017
    My answer will purely concentrate on PvE aspect of Riders of Icarus, without even mentioning PvP, since I have close to no experience in this area.

There is no better/worse class. Ranger and Assassin, despite having some common traits, represent very different playstyles. The question you should be asking is "which class is better for my prefered style of playing?". Assassin may be considered a class with higher DPS, but in hands of a player who just doesn't like or understand his mechanic he will be mostly a source of annoyance or anger.

I tried to find two videos which represent both playstyles. I finally settled for those two:
    Assassin
    Ranger
    Just be aware that one is a guide and the other a gameplay and that there is a significant lvl difference between shown characters, so it may not be a perfect comparison. However it should be enough to give you a feeling of what playing each class looks like. Please give them at least a quick look before reading the rest of my post.

So as you probably noticed, the main aim of both classes is not to get hit by the mob. It's simply because assassins are quite squishy, so they go down in just a few good blows. Rangers are mainly ranged class, so for them keeping their distance is just a convenience - they can do damage without loosing any HP so why let mobs hit you? ;)
    But the difference comes in a way they achieve it. Let's start with assassin. They are meele class, so there is no way for them to deal damage and not get hit. That's why they can dodge (so still get hit, but take 0 damage - just a quick clarification in case someone new to mmorpgs in general reads this post). You "activate" dodge effect by doubleclicking one of movement keys (A, W, S or D), so that your character 'slides' in choosen direction. As you can see on the video this gives you a 100% dodge chance for a few seconds. I won't get into the details of this since it's all beautifully shown in the video.

Now moving on to Rangers. They only have backwards 'slide' which is really only used to put distance between you and your opponent (and move a bit quicker in areas where mounts aren't allowed, he he o:) ). So as you can see they are much easier to play, and as mentioned before more forgiving if you make a mistake during a fight. Other differences between those classes (like the amounts of AOE skills, DPS etc.) were mentioned in previous posts so I won't repeat them. Also I feel like the main thing you should be worried about when choosing class is it's general playstyle, the rest is really secondary matters.

So to sum up, you shoud:
    Play Assasin if you:
    - Like a bit more difficult gameplay
    - Prefer meele combat
    - Have a good computer and internet connection (may seem trival, but lagging assassin is a dead assassin)
    - Have a good sense of timing (for dodging)

Play Ranger if you:
    - Prefer a bit easier gameplay
    - Like ranged classes
    - Maybe have a bit worse equipment (bigger lags will of course be lethal to any character, but it's still possible to play ranger on low FPS)

Just remember that game should be fun, so make a choice mainly on how you generally feel about each class - try watching some more videos, see how different players choose to play each class; videos shown by me are only examples. Don't go too deep into skills and DPS, because in the end the best class is the loved one. Good luck and have fun, whichever shall you choose! :)
  • ZerboZerbo
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 920
    edited April 1, 2017
    I think Ranger makes more sense unless you mastered the Assassin class at a very high level and many western casuals wont achieve that.

Ranger:
    1. Its a new Class! Therefore not so much competition.
    2. Its easyer to Level and less equip dependent.
    3. Its easy to grind dungeons with 100% commitment because its not so exhausting.
    4. Its less stressful and playing a Ranger in a Taming game is the icing on the cake ;) !!!

Sin:
    1. DMG but thats it!

Conclusion:
    If you do not necessarily have to make the most DMG -> Ranger is just better.