[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

[Q&A] Mount Skin Design Contest

CuddleWingsCuddleWings
Riders of Icarus Rep: 36,605
Administrator
edited July 12 in Contests and Events
Have any questions regarding the Mount Design Contest? Ask away in this thread. We'll do our best to answer them.

Comments

• CuddleWingsCuddleWings
    Administrator
    edited July 12
    RESERVED
  • KamenRiderIcarusKamenRiderIcarus
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,165
    edited July 12
    A few things:

1. Are mount types not listed on the official posts, but in the bestiary still fair game (i.e. The Thunder Wolf for Torkai)?
    2. What's the status on designs inspired by other game characters/designs? Are they possible or is too murky due to copyright? (for example again, Amaterasu from Okami would make an amazing skin for Torkai, but would have cause issues)
    3. Can we suggest extra effects that the skin would cause? (i.e. sparkles, fire, etc)
  • AzymionAzymion
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,585
    edited July 12
    1. If we design one of the dragons can/do we have to do the top and bottom side of wings?
    2. Is it possible to do the Garilon, Runelon and Poreon, mainly since they don't have skins yet or is that not possible? (shared skin between the 3)
    3. if they were available to do what should I put when it's entered? (mount type)
  • CuddleWingsCuddleWings
    Administrator
    edited July 13
    A few things:

1. Are mount types not listed on the official posts, but in the bestiary still fair game (i.e. The Thunder Wolf for Torkai)?
    2. What's the status on designs inspired by other game characters/designs? Are they possible or is too murky due to copyright? (for example again, Amaterasu from Okami would make an amazing skin for Torkai, but would have cause issues)
    3. Can we suggest extra effects that the skin would cause? (i.e. sparkles, fire, etc)

1. Yes they are. Feel free to make a design for mounts without skins.
    2. Please do not make any designs based off other games or characters. I would just avoid it completely to be safe.
    3. Effects are fine.

Azymion wrote: »
    1. If we design one of the dragons can/do we have to do the top and bottom side of wings?
    2. Is it possible to do the Garilon, Runelon and Poreon, mainly since they don't have skins yet or is that not possible? (shared skin between the 3)
    3. if they were available to do what should I put when it's entered? (mount type)

1. That should be fine.
    2. Yes you can create skins for those mounts. There are a few unique mounts without skins so go ahead and create them.
    3. Just put the name of the mount. The type is not needed.
    AzymionKamenRiderIcarusTybira
  • DabigWangDabigWang
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 455
    edited July 12
    what software do we need to use for this? do we need the actual models to create the skins? are there any available templates we can use for the basis of our skins such as an un-skinned version of the familiars?
    ValhallaQueen
  • EilizzleEilizzle
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 560
    edited July 12
    What about Tekanin? He isnt on the list of the Post but can I still create a skin for him? Because he's my favorite Mount. (Rider Dragon)
  • ValhallaQueenValhallaQueen
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 745
    edited July 13
    Also wondering, can it be traditional/scanned images? or do we have to actually use a template/program?
  • TybiraTybira
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 500
    edited July 13
    1. Just wondering how wild we can get with add-ons. For example, some skins only change the texture and color of the original model, like the Metal Reindeer
    skin. However, the Poison Matura skin has a lot of extra armor pieces and chains unlike its original Venomous Caspert model. Should we limit how much extra modeling has to be done and stick to reskins only? Or is a small amount of extra modeling allowed as long as the basic rig/skeleton is untouched?

Also @Eilizzle: All the familiars are allowed even if they aren't on the contest list.
  • DjwaffleshotDjwaffleshot
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,175
    edited July 13
    Is there any way we can get some references on some of the more unique mounts?

Like for the life of me I want to make a Karon skin (or whatever mount type Karon,Tagris,Traes,Lagosha are) but I can't find good images of Karon on the internet and no one I know owns a Karon so I can't get a good look on there either,since I need to get a good look at his head,wings and body.
  • CuddleWingsCuddleWings
    Administrator
    edited July 13
    DabigWang wrote: »
    what software do we need to use for this? do we need the actual models to create the skins? are there any available templates we can use for the basis of our skins such as an un-skinned version of the familiars?

You can just sketch it out on traditional or digital medium. We do not have any templates. Just reference the basic model from in-game.
    Eilizzle wrote: »
    What about Tekanin? He isnt on the list of the Post but can I still create a skin for him? Because he's my favorite Mount. (Rider Dragon)

You can create a skin for Tekanin. I am going to revise the rules a bit so this does not confuse Riders further.
    Also wondering, can it be traditional/scanned images? or do we have to actually use a template/program?

We will accept traditional or digital medium. No fancy template programs needed.
    Tybira wrote: »
    1. Just wondering how wild we can get with add-ons. For example, some skins only change the texture and color of the original model, like the Metal Reindeer
    skin. However, the Poison Matura skin has a lot of extra armor pieces and chains unlike its original Venomous Caspert model. Should we limit how much extra modeling has to be done and stick to reskins only? Or is a small amount of extra modeling allowed as long as the basic rig/skeleton is untouched?

You can go as crazy as you want and add anything to a basic mount type.

My suggestion is that you should not add extra functioning and moving limbs such as arms and legs. WeMade will not be able to animate those. Fins, horns, antennae, armor, chains, accessories etc are fine.

Is there any way we can get some references on some of the more unique mounts?

Like for the life of me I want to make a Karon skin (or what type of mount Karon,Tagris,Traes,Lagosha are) but I can't find good images of Karon on the internet,since I need to get a good look at his head,wings and body.

I can try to get a few references on request. This will take me some time and I will only take them for Legendary/ Heroic mounts.
    ValhallaQueenTybira
  • ValhallaQueenValhallaQueen
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 745
    edited July 13
    Awesome sauce, and there was another question already answered in that large paragraph, about antennae and extras :D Neato. next question Is: Are effects like the sparkles or Feathers from Golden Winged Abras alright?
  • DuanaDuana
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,900
    edited July 13
    Hi, could you please upload a few extra references for Torkai?

These are what I'm looking for:
    A top-shot picture (flying above Torkai, looking straight down (showing head, back, tail)
    Direct-face picture (looking straight at the face of torkai)
    Side-face picture (closeup of the side of the face)
    Basic side-shot (no diagonals, Torkai standing sideways from a neutral camera perspective)

Also, is tracing over game-screenshots allowed for design references?
    I would assume so since style varies from person to person (could be trickier to transfer to model), but I wanted to ask regardless.
    DamnDavidValhallaQueen
  • BeowulfDemonBeowulfDemon
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 200
    edited July 13
    is it okay to design for the newest area mounts from Akrat plains ?
  • StrawberryVixenStrawberryVixen
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 475
    edited July 13
    If I have already submitted a design and found I could make a better one, would it be alright to remove the previous design to make room for the new one (since we can only have one design)?
  • DamnDavidDamnDavid
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 400
    edited July 14
    If it's possible it would a big help when i could get some references of Torkai :)
  • PhilosoapPhilosoap
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,565
    edited July 15
    I also got a question, nah two actually;
    1. Can wings be altered? I get it that you cannot add another pair of wings to it as those would need to be animated too. What I am refering to is the style of wings. How much are we allowed to modify the wings (i.e. change the form of them)? For eg. is making them look torn (aka removing/adding some parts of the wings) allowed?

2. Refering the equine model in general. What about the mane and tail? Can they be shorted/lengthed? Also same as above - can the shape of them be changed?
  • CuddleWingsCuddleWings
    Administrator
    edited July 16
    Awesome sauce, and there was another question already answered in that large paragraph, about antennae and extras :D Neato. next question Is: Are effects like the sparkles or Feathers from Golden Winged Abras alright?

Yes, FX are fine to add to your design.
    Duana wrote: »
    Hi, could you please upload a few extra references for Torkai?

These are what I'm looking for:
    A top-shot picture (flying above Torkai, looking straight down (showing head, back, tail)
    Direct-face picture (looking straight at the face of torkai)
    Side-face picture (closeup of the side of the face)
    Basic side-shot (no diagonals, Torkai standing sideways from a neutral camera perspective)

Also, is tracing over game-screenshots allowed for design references?
    I would assume so since style varies from person to person (could be trickier to transfer to model), but I wanted to ask regardless.

Yes, tracing the in-game model is fine.
    I will try to get references for Torkai by the end of the week.

is it okay to design for the newest area mounts from Akrat plains ?

Yes, you can make a skin from any mount currently available in-game.
    If I have already submitted a design and found I could make a better one, would it be alright to remove the previous design to make room for the new one (since we can only have one design)?

Yes, you are welcome to change your entry as many times as you want as long as it is done before the contest ends.
    DamnDavid wrote: »
    If it's possible it would a big help when i could get some references of Torkai :)

I will try to get references for Torkai by the end of the week.
    Philosoap wrote: »
    I also got a question, nah two actually;
    1. Can wings be altered? I get it that you cannot add another pair of wings to it as those would need to be animated too. What I am refering to is the style of wings. How much are we allowed to modify the wings (i.e. change the form of them)? For eg. is making them look torn (aka removing/adding some parts of the wings) allowed?

2. Refering the equine model in general. What about the mane and tail? Can they be shorted/lengthed? Also same as above - can the shape of them be changed?

Yes, wings can be altered. Feel free to alter/style them as you wish. You can change the patterns, make them look torn, add FX, add talons/nails etc. But do keep in mind the base model of the wings, you cannot remove skeletal pieces and appendages.

Yes, you can change the length of the mane and tail. The shape can be changed as well. I don't think there are too many restrictions on hair for existing models.

PhilosoapDamnDavidTybira
  • AzymionAzymion
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,585
    edited July 17
    Think this is very good question Resolving artists in general. Will Grand Prize winners and finalists be given proper credit no matter the number? not just in game but as in person for their artwork since this is our ideas? seen this question pop up a few times. thanks to the reply in advance.
    Duana
  • DjwaffleshotDjwaffleshot
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,175
    edited July 18
    Ok I think I'm almost done with my skin,before I do anything else I mainly need good references of Karon's wings ,since they have a much different appearance compared to Blind Daerytas,my current reference .

Perhaps screenshots over him while sprinting in the air so I can get a good look a at his back and over his wings
    One under his wings, since I notice the pattern of his wings are different over and under
  • MiusakiMiusaki
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 395
    edited July 18
    Can I make a Skin for Panos or Lagosha? :3
This discussion has been closed.