If you're reading this, I'm guessing you're feeling the frustration of wasting countless Elluns and countless Tempering Stones when it comes time for you to upgrade that new shiny Exalted gear.
Heres how you can save Elluns and Tempering stones when upgrading your gear!
Disclaimer: Just to clarify, this is in no way to say that this guide will work or not, in any respect. This guide is simply to help you waste less resources and hopefully save you some Elluns.
Step 1: OBTAIN as many buffs as possible.
Like many of the RNG features in this game, there are charms, talismans and pots which increases your chance of successful tempering in this game. Below are the ones you should try to get your hands on.
1) Tempering Charm from the Spire vendor. Requires 30 Challenger Coins (which you obtain from completing floors in Ellora's Spire). Also a random drop in the spire. Lasts 7hrs.
2) Special Tempering Talisman. Acquired through Lucky Boxes, Auction House (Market) using gold and thru direct NX purchases in the Ellora's Shop. These last anywhere between 14 Days to 30 days depending on the flavor you choose.
3) Tempering Potion. Purchased from the Ellora's shop using 3 Elluns (which is fairly cheap). Lasts only 10 mins so make it count!
4) Alchemist Jewelry Set. Obtained via drops from the Raid Dungeon Fractura (which can only be accessed in the mid lvl 50's). Make sure you get all 3, Alchemist Necklace, Ring of Wisdom, Ring of Strength.
5) Special NEXON events: for example, right now, TIME OF GROWTH which adds another 30%. This one is inconsistent as it really depends on when NEXON runs these types of extended events. (Personally, this should just become a permanent fixture with higher %'s or just simply fix the RNG).
Now all these buffs apply ONLY to non-% tempering stones. If you are using 30%/40%/50%/Blessed Stones, none of these buffs affect your tempering chances.
Step 2: GATHER A LOT of Tempering Stones. I mean A LOT. If you're stuck having to buy them, then I would suggest running some more dungs/raids and and save as many 150+ temp stones as possible. Fractura, World Bosses, and Elder's Bastion tend to drop higher lvl stones consistently. Other places to farm are the Merumi solo dungeon next to Elder's Bastion and Fishing at The Sea of Hakanas.
Step 3: CLENCH your Buttcheeks and temper away!
Assuming you've tried to max out your tempering buffs and gathered a bunch of stones, now its time to start tempering! Please be aware that despite all the preparations you have made, its still VERY LIKELY you will fail a bunch of times in a row. Hopefully, its just not as much as before...
When tempering EXALTED gear from 0-11, use the lowest grade stones possible to get to +11. Once you hit +11, start swapping over to your 150+ stones and at +12/+13 swap over to 165's and 170's in order to minimize heartbreaks and headaches (although they will probably still happen). Again, this is not guaranteed to give you a bunch of successful tempers in a row. If you have luck like mine, you'll probably still burn through 20-40 stones before reaching +15. This step can be accomplished without having to use ANYEllun protection, just a ton of stones.
At +15, start using Ellun insurance. If you do not use Elluns to prevent de-ranking, there's a high chance of failing and dropping 2 tempering levels..yes 2. This is also a good time to swap over to % tempering stones (while still using Ellun protection). Reasonably, you can probably get away tempering to +17 using 170 stones but after that I wouldn't count on many successes.
Step 4: CRY at how much this entire endeavor has cost you. If you were lucky and managed to get to +15 or +17 without too many failures, congrats! Consider yourself one of the lucky few! If you're like me, your eyes are probably filled with tears and your blood pressure has risen to some all time highs. Get up, cool off and avoid trying to smash your computer equipment. *Remember, your computer isn't responsible for this frustration.
Annnd there you have it! Tempering guide in a nutshell! Satisfaction not guaranteed!
Now about refining...don't.