[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

[Suggestion] Controller Support

Comments

• RebeldawgRebeldawg
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,250
    edited May 2, 2016
    Even though I wouldn't be using a controller to play RoI I feel that those who do want to be able to use one should be allowed to if they wish.
    CreamTaranTatsuuchi
  • NaniNani
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,790
    edited May 3, 2016
    I wouldn't use a controller for a game like this, I'm just the type of person who likes lots of buttons & the use of keybinds. As long as it doesn't have any effect on our existing controls & users who play with K/M, go for it. Just hope it doesn't waste the devs time that could be spent elsewhere(which it likely will).
    RumbaManShocolatte
  • KrimzonKrimzon
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,175
    edited May 3, 2016
    TaranTatsuuchi

MajickMan
    MajickMan said:

@KingZero_Jonas Well I think the use of custom controllers would be great. PC controllers specifically designed for use with PCs.. and yes I understand that Microsoft has the XBox and everything is basically a computer, and TVs are Bluetooth enabled and compatible for HDMI connection as extensions or separate monitors; but I really think it's better off to have a way to strike many more button combinations without the additional trouble of accidental button pressing because of simple sensitivity issues. Leave console controllers to console games. You can't progress without forward momentum and change.

Also there aren't more buttons on an XBox controller. and there aren't really more combinations. The only limiting factor in configuration at all is that it has to use escape keys (Ctl, Alt, Shift) instead of simultaneous comboing. Also I like the escape keys. Would be nice to have both.
    Final Fantasy XIV does a wonderful job of mapping skills to the controller.

With a standard ps3~4 or xbox controller, using the options available, you have easy access to 32 different skills.

Holding R2 or L2 gives you access to 8 skills each, using the face buttons and dpad.

Holding R2 then L2 gives you 8 more.

And holding L2 then R2 gives you access to a different set of 8.

R1 will cycle through the active page, changing which skills are on holding just R2 or L2.

While holding R1 will let you switch to a specific page out of 8 by using the face and dpad.
    How would that work though? I feel like in battle you would not have the ability to quickly use your skills if you needed to map it like that. I would love the ability to have a controller, and I voted yes, but for difficult battles it might be an inconvenience. Maneuverability wise, however, I feel that a controller would be a great advantage.
    playt99
  • RumbaManRumbaMan
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,140
    edited May 4, 2016
    CONTROL BABY YEAH YEAH AM A CONTROL FRAK GET IT MUAHAHAHA
  • Takezo_KenseiTakezo_Kensei
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,225
    edited May 5, 2016
    Yes to controller
    playt99
  • JhaycenJhaycen
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 6,020
    edited May 8, 2016
    It depends on how its implemented.

I have no issue if the game is designed with the intention of keyboard and mouse being the preferred input method, but has provisions for easily configuring a controller (mapping sticks and buttons to game functions).

I am not in favor of designing a game with the intention that it be playable on a controller first - because that limits game design.
    FractalMind
  • TaranTatsuuchiTaranTatsuuchi
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 850
    edited May 9, 2016
    Krimzon
    Krimzon said:

TaranTatsuuchi

MajickMan
    MajickMan said:

@KingZero_Jonas Well I think the use of custom controllers would be great. PC controllers specifically designed for use with PCs.. and yes I understand that Microsoft has the XBox and everything is basically a computer, and TVs are Bluetooth enabled and compatible for HDMI connection as extensions or separate monitors; but I really think it's better off to have a way to strike many more button combinations without the additional trouble of accidental button pressing because of simple sensitivity issues. Leave console controllers to console games. You can't progress without forward momentum and change.

Also there aren't more buttons on an XBox controller. and there aren't really more combinations. The only limiting factor in configuration at all is that it has to use escape keys (Ctl, Alt, Shift) instead of simultaneous comboing. Also I like the escape keys. Would be nice to have both.
    Final Fantasy XIV does a wonderful job of mapping skills to the controller.

With a standard ps3~4 or xbox controller, using the options available, you have easy access to 32 different skills.

Holding R2 or L2 gives you access to 8 skills each, using the face buttons and dpad.

Holding R2 then L2 gives you 8 more.

And holding L2 then R2 gives you access to a different set of 8.

R1 will cycle through the active page, changing which skills are on holding just R2 or L2.

While holding R1 will let you switch to a specific page out of 8 by using the face and dpad.
    How would that work though? I feel like in battle you would not have the ability to quickly use your skills if you needed to map it like that. I would love the ability to have a controller, and I voted yes, but for difficult battles it might be an inconvenience. Maneuverability wise, however, I feel that a controller would be a great advantage.
    It works out pretty well, you'll want to map skills that you'll use on the move to stuff on the face buttons to leave your left thumb free to move with the stick, but FFXIV has fights with lots of movement to deal with, via avoiding telegraphed abilities.

It uses tab targeting style for selecting enemies, you switch between visible enemies with left and right on the dpad, group members with up and down on the dpad. Holding L1 and going up and down on the dpad cycles through the list of enemies that are on the emnity list.

They have actually done a great job with their controller setup. So much so that I prefer to use the controller over mouse and keyboard when playing it.
    RumbaMan
  • TruZer0TruZer0
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 925
    edited May 14, 2016
    Personally I am primarily a controller user for the PC which I know to some is a disgrace. But if I can use a controller, most of the time I will choose to use one.
    Tera or Marvel Heroes have the best controller schemes for an MMO. I would love to see this game get it as well because we are leaving the age of the slow paced
    MMO and moving into a faster paced one in which having a controller is beautiful for.
  • CreamCream
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 22,260
    Forum Moderator, Council Member
    edited May 14, 2016
    @TruZer0

I am not a fan of controller on PC but lots of my friends prefers it. So, it is logical that me as one person know enough people that likes it, is obvious that in average as a entire community the need for controller support is considerable. I believe that is not an option if they can do it, I believe that bottom line has to be done.

P.S Is one of those add-on that can only create positive reaction and a greater player base (if done correctly).

Have a nice day!
  • SirFacekikSirFacekik
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 770
    edited June 3, 2016
    if you can get a controller to work with bdo this game wouldnt be hard to work with
    playt99
  • AzirayaAziraya
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 540
    edited June 3, 2016
    I'm personally a fan of using a controller for any and all games possible. I've played both FF14ARR as well as Blade&Soul on controller and it works perfectly fine. It's great since it just simply feels more comfortable and I'm not having to do different hand movements depending on which WASD key(s) I have pressed which leads to much easier muscle-memory building. FF14 had a great UI that went with it and Blade&Soul has a similar skill combo mechanic to this game. I would take a look at their systems in order to determine an effective way of doing controller implementation for this game as well if possible.
    ShuikuriDeanDean
  • NicodamusNYNicodamusNY
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 600
    edited June 4, 2016
    I'm all for controller support, But I use it in a weird way. I cant use the keyboard to move (W,S,D,A). So i only use the controller to move my character (left stick), left trigger (jump) and left bumper(target) in my left hand. I use the mouse and cursor for the skill bars in my right.

Only problem now is that in standard mode the cursor moves with the joystick. And I've tried xpadder to stop it from moving with no luck. So I'm hopping they can find a solution. because i rlly enjoy the game. Played this way since City of Heroes and yes its weird lol
  • ZiangeZiange
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 580
    edited June 4, 2016
    Hi , i vote YES , i'd like very much to use a controller as in Black Desert or other as Tera if my memorie is good, i hope there is no too much shortcuts skills to do that enable . Excuse my English language i'm French ^^
    playt99DeanDean
  • JellybeanJellybean
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,655
    edited June 7, 2016
    If i want to play with a controller i fire up my Xbox because the games are designed specifically for it.

MMO's generally have a whole bunch of skills and abilities linked to the character. Gaming mice allow for keyboard shortcuts but controllers bring a different style of control to the character.

Personally i will always use a keyboard and mouse but have no problem with controller support as long as it doesn't put the old fashioned keyboard and mouse player at a disadvantage
  • ShuikuriShuikuri
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 820
    edited June 10, 2016
    Aziraya
    Aziraya said:

I'm personally a fan of using a controller for any and all games possible. I've played both FF14ARR as well as Blade&Soul on controller and it works perfectly fine. It's great since it just simply feels more comfortable and I'm not having to do different hand movements depending on which WASD key(s) I have pressed which leads to much easier muscle-memory building. FF14 had a great UI that went with it and Blade&Soul has a similar skill combo mechanic to this game. I would take a look at their systems in order to determine an effective way of doing controller implementation for this game as well if possible.
    Yeah, me too (FF14ARR & BS). I find it way more intuitive to play with a controller. When you once memorized all the key bindings it's really fun, especially with an Xbox360 controller. =)

DeanDean
  • KingZero_JonasKingZero_Jonas
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,210
    edited June 11, 2016
    It is great to come back and see more people interested playing, and suggesting the the forums i hope this does pass because it can help get more players into the game
  • AkeemaAkeema
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,590
    edited June 17, 2016
    While I don't play with a controller myself because they hurt my hands, I am in full support of having controller support. I know a lot of my buddies do game with a controller. I think it would be a great feature to have!
    CreamDeanDean
  • CreenkeyisCreenkeyis
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 670
    edited June 24, 2016
    I've played many MMOS throughout the years and have played with keyboard and mouse as well as controller. Yeah the controller is restricted to the amount of buttons but just because you use one doesn't mean you can't use the other. So if there is a way to implement controller support I say by all means do it. It will give other players a chance to experience the game the way they like to experience it.
    DeanDean
  • playt99playt99
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 650
    edited June 26, 2016
    I vote "Yes" for native controller support, I do a lot of gaming with my wife and she will only use a controller it will make it easier for me rather than remapping all the keyboard keys.
    DeanDean
  • JorrelJorrel
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 410
    edited June 30, 2016
    I am in total support for the game controller options !!!!
    DeanDean
This discussion has been closed.