[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

DEV Blog 1 – Introducing Action Mode!

Comments

• TheCkovachTheCkovach
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 790
    edited May 22, 2016
    Can't wait for Closed beta 3! I'll be trying out both Action and Standard modes since this will actually be my first Closed Beta! Am really interested in how all this will work!
    CreamRave
  • SethGureSethGure
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 7,750
    edited May 22, 2016
    Uzziel
    Uzziel said:

This game is Getting more and more Similar to Vindictus ;/ i Think this action mode is kinda cool but but please work on PVP , do something that maybe u achive some ranks by getting kills and those ranks unblock some extra stats , make a large pvp for example something like raid vs. raid or everyone who will join pvp map has to chose side like red and blue .
    The pvp in this game is fantastic from my experience in other version mainly KR , there is a ranking system for pretty much any thing , there are alliance wars Guild vs Guild wars and battle grounds , and an open world pvp they are just high level ,the closest is the open world pvp which is available by lvl 30 .
    Rave
  • RealDragonSlayerRealDragonSlayer
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,385
    edited May 23, 2016
    Uzziel
    Uzziel said:

This game is Getting more and more Similar to Vindictus ;/ i Think this action mode is kinda cool but but please work on PVP , do something that maybe u achive some ranks by getting kills and those ranks unblock some extra stats , make a large pvp for example something like raid vs. raid or everyone who will join pvp map has to chose side like red and blue .
    "This game is Getting more and more Similar to Vindictus" !!! its Completely wrong !!! do not accept....
    did you try the game!? :| :|
    Not comparable...
    Creamswordsy
  • CreamCream
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 22,310
    Forum Moderator, Council Member
    edited May 23, 2016
    I agree with @RealDragonSlayer. It is a little premature to make suggestions on PVP since the Arena wasn't even open. We have to give a chance to the development team to get to that part before making conjectures. PVP was in RoI but as everything else was only a cameo of things to come to satisfy curiosities. CBT3 will have even more content in different areas but we have to do our part and provide the development team with more useful data and input. More over, the development team has proven that they are listening to us already by the implementation of Action and Standard Mode, they only need the proper time to work with us.
    RumbaMan
  • ZephirusZephirus
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,075
    edited May 23, 2016
    When you say action camera, you think about using the skill 1 and skill 2 with left and right mouse button respectively. But GW2 brought something different. I was skeptical at start, when I've first tried it, but it seemed they've made a brilliant choice by bringing this small and yet amazing feature to the action camera mode. So, you still use skill 1 with your left mouse button (known as auto attack skill), but the right mouse button is for selecting objects/targets that you aim with your aiming cursor. That way you will never need to press Alt or whatever shortcut you have to change into mouse mode when you just need to select something/someone. More than that, if you have 2 or more targets in front of you, you normally can shoot each one by carefully aiming your cursor on each of them (the targets are automatically selected once you put the aiming cursor on them), but if you right click (select) one of them, it becomes locked and even if you aim any other target, you will still shoot the targeted/selected one, as long as you won't turn the camera too far from it. I would love to see this action camera mode in Raiders of Icarus as well. And one more thing, I just hope the Insert and ALT buttons used to switch between action and mouse mode will going to be changeable, since I'm using Mouse Button 4 just for that. Thank you for this great game, just can't wait to play it again !
  • ZimnelZimnel
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,045
    edited May 23, 2016
    Awesome, I love action combat controls in games. The fact you can choose and change those modes that easy makes the feature even more attractive for me. Thanks Mr. Hoon to have the players thoughts and feedback in such high consideration.
    RumbaManZagatou
  • RaveRave
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 950
    edited May 26, 2016
    Dreher
    Dreher said:

Sporticas
    Sporticas said:

Dreher
    Dreher said:

perfect :) lol yesterday i sayed a new player it pssible that we get 2 systems :D and we got it :D nice work :)
    Can you hope that I win the lottery please? :)
    my allmighty oracle says : no you will not win this tresure - but you will be future bloobcoin millionare ! :D

lmao hilarious response^
  • RaveRave
    edited May 26, 2016
    SethGure
    SethGure said:

Uzziel
    Uzziel said:

The pvp in this game is fantastic from my experience in other version mainly KR , there is a ranking system for pretty much any thing , there are alliance wars Guild vs Guild wars and battle grounds , and an open world pvp they are just high level ,the closest is the open world pvp which is available by lvl 30 .
    I agree I have no problems with the pvp in this game I enjoy it and I do believe he's correct about there being a ranking system for pretty much anything. But cant be sure about the rest. lol didnt check I played solo. Didnt bother with lookin at that just wanted to get thru everything before i ran outta time ahaha.
  • CreamCream
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 22,310
    Forum Moderator, Council Member
    edited May 27, 2016
    I did the same, solo 98% of the CBT. After running out of quest the I just started exploring areas!
  • ZagatouZagatou
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 400
    edited May 28, 2016
    I really like dev teams like that!
  • Ca1istinCa1istin
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 970
    edited June 2, 2016
    awesome
    Cream
  • RaveRave
    edited June 3, 2016
    I wasnt sure at first but action mode is pretty fun xD
  • KironKiron
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 540
    edited August 11, 2016

Greetings, Riders! I am Seok Hoon, the Project Director of the Riders of Icarus development team. All the feedback that you had sent us in Closed Beta 2 has kept us very busy! Camera & Control mode improvements, Familiar Sprint, Frame improvements, optimization, and many other features are in the works for Closed Beta 3.

Riders of Icarus is our take on the classic MMORPG, so the game has a targeted keyboard/mouse control system that suits this genre. But, throughout Closed Beta 1 and Closed Beta 2, we saw feedback from Riders that they wanted a non-targeted action control system. In fact, we originally wanted to implement the new control system in Closed Beta 2, but unfortunately it had to be delayed. In Closed Beta 3, we are going to be able to introduce Action Mode.

MECHANICS AND FUNCTIONALITY
    Action Mode is a control system that borrows from a non-targeted system. In Action Mode, you will be able to rotate the camera simply by moving the mouse. There's no need to target; instead, you aim at your target with the crosshair in the center of the screen, then click left and right mouse buttons to use your attack skills.

The simple and easy Action Mode control is perfect for aerial combat. When using the lance it will play like a hack and slash game, and when using the crossbow, it will play like a shooter game. We also recommend Riders try out this mode when playing melee classes.

Standard Mode is the traditional MMORPG control system that was provided in Closed Beta 1 and Closed Beta 2. You can target using a mouse click or the tab key, and then utilize the keyboard keys to use your attack skills. It's much more precise when compared to Action Mode, so this mode is recommended for the Priests who are responsible for the lives of party members, and Wizards who have many ranged skills and area of effect skills.

ACTIVATING ACTION MODE
    You can toggle between the modes with the "Insert" key at any time during the game. In Action Mode, your screen will be locked to your mouse and the mouse will dictate the camera movement. When you need the mouse, you can activate your mouse cursor while holding the "Alt" key.

We recommend placing skills with short cooldown and combo skills in Action Mode in Hotkeys 1 and 2 on the skill bar. This way, you will be able to use more skills easily as you will have follow-up skills that come after the combo skills.

To use a skill on yourself or the party member, you can use "Ctrl" + "1 - 5" keys to select party members in Action Mode.

DEVELOPING ACTION MODE
    The biggest challenge for us was bringing the thrilling action of the non-target systems despite the fact Riders of Icarus uses the traditional MMORPG target system. Even now, we are constantly exploring and testing different ways to improve Action Mode, including a Lock-On feature that will help with crossbow targeting. In Open Beta, we plan on bringing a highly polished control mode that allows usage of skills even without a target, the Lock-On feature, and other improvements.

As developers, your feedback is incredibly valuable to help us improve the game and develop the features that you want. We look forward to your comments on the Action Mode feature and we hope you enjoy Closed Beta 3!
    any info on when this improvements to action mode will arrive? Currently the biggest issue is that you still need to use TAB to change target while in action mode if you want to change your target, just by aiming to yout target does not target it automatically which is very bad. many reviews critisize this. any info if this is being worked on? thanks
    TimeSeer
This discussion has been closed.