[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

How do you tame a flying mount ?

DragonLadyDragonLady
Riders of Icarus Rep: 400
edited July 15, 2016 in Mount Collection and Combat
In the trailer you see the character jump/fall from 1 dragon to the other can we do that to en how ?
How do you tame a flying mount in other ways ?
Thanks in advance
Greetings DragonLady

Comments

• SabotinSabotin
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 615
    edited July 15, 2016
    Put your taming button to your "mount" quickslot tab (drag it over the blue button with a saddle immediately left of your quickslot bar and then on one of the free slots). Then when you're mounted you select something you want to tame, press the tame button (which will have your character "get ready" on top of your mount), get close to your target and press space so that you land on its back and try and tame it like a land mount.

The flying mounts have a tendency to be very mobile, so sometimes it's useful to hit them once so that they attack you (but stand still doing so), for easier jumping on their back.

Before I figured out that you can jump from mount to mount I'd drag the birds to the ground with my guardian and tame them there xD .
    DragonLadyHigrasAlayahbigmeandragonladyKesstryl
  • DragonLadyDragonLady
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 400
    edited July 15, 2016
    Ty for the reply i play a berserker at the moment but it sounds like fun and exiting to tame a flying mount i just gonna try
  • AlayahAlayah
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,110
    edited July 17, 2016
    Sabotin
    Sabotin said:

Put your taming button to your "mount" quickslot tab (drag it over the blue button with a saddle immediately left of your quickslot bar and then on one of the free slots). Then when you're mounted you select something you want to tame, press the tame button (which will have your character "get ready" on top of your mount), get close to your target and press space so that you land on its back and try and tame it like a land mount.

The flying mounts have a tendency to be very mobile, so sometimes it's useful to hit them once so that they attack you (but stand still doing so), for easier jumping on their back.

Before I figured out that you can jump from mount to mount I'd drag the birds to the ground with my guardian and tame them there xD .
    I just wanted to add that I had trouble adding the tame button to my mount slots. So what I did was while I was on a mount I opened my skills list, then drug the taming skill to a 1 through = slot. Worked perfectly as long as I was on a mount. If you aren't you may have trouble with it switching to class slots. Hope this helps someone. :)

• ZeroAphoticZeroAphotic
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 200
    edited July 18, 2016
    I just wanted to thank you both for helping Draognlady up there because it helped me too. I was trying to find instructions everywhere on how to mount while flying and couldn't find anything. I managed to tame Trutan the cool way only because of this thread, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tame many others only because you were kind enough to reply.
  • RabidWookie777RabidWookie777
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 100
    edited August 3
    I know this is late. I read this post to learn how to catch flyers and realized there are somethings they missed. First off each familiar has a level, and if you are not at that level or higher you will have a hard time catching them. Most high quality familiars also require a mark. Different creatures can be found at different elevations. You can see your elevation at the bottom right, and all flyers can only fly so high. All of this information can be found in the Riders of Icarus bestiary when you google it. When you do the quests you get a Phoenix and your first dragon Vulkanus in the Caldera region of the Hakanas Highlands around level 20. The Phoenix can fly about 250 and the dragon can fly to 450 where most other dragons max out at. There are two elite dragons in the Highlands that you can tame after you get your first dragon, Ruby Bloodwyrm at level 25 and Blue Bloodwyrm at level 30. You can find both of them flying over 300m in the air to the southeast of the Fellwoods shrine. I tried to tame the Ruby as soon as I got Vulkanus at level 22 and failed despite it having almost no health. I went back right at 25 and it was easy. When you spot it you should look for one all alone and fly up close to it and hit it with your lance Whirlwind Spear attack. That's the Easy Button when you're on a mount, it attacks in a circle and does a lot of damage. The only downside to Whirlwind Spear attack is you can only cast it every 30 seconds because it has a cooldown. Make sure you don't kill it, leave a little health and fly fly little above it. When you attack them they usually stand still and attack back so it's easier. Also taming an elite with full health can still fail so it helps to lower it as much as possible. Put the taming skill on your mount and unmounted hotkeys, and when you press it you will crouch on your mount and it'll say taming mode. If you are close enough it'll say space for you to jump to the other beast. After you jump you can press space again to jump again in mid air. Now if you fall you can summon your mount in midair and fly right back up to the dragon and try again.
  • CreamCream
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 21,815
    Forum Moderator, Council Member
    edited August 3
    @RabidWookie777

Necro-bumping is not permitted on these forums by its Code of Honor. please follow the rules at all times, Rider!

giphy.gif
This discussion has been closed.