[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

Current Endgame Wizard Guide(Updated to Lv. 35)

KilvorianKilvorian
Riders of Icarus Rep: 805
edited August 21, 2016 in Wizard
Stat Prioritization for your gear should be as such: M.Crit% up to 60%>M. Crit Dmg>Int>CDR up to 30%>M.Atk>CDR above 30%>M.Crit above 60%
Seal Prioritization: Venomous Caspert(if you're loaded)Blue Bloodwyrm(M.Attack M.Crit%)Gilded Benthic (M. Crit% M. Crit Dmg.) For maximum effect level your familiars to max level before you seal them.
Pet Scrolls: Golden Laiku, Kerav, Rondo, Taslan the Devourer, Blue Bloodwyrm
Land Mount: Venomous Caspert, Magma Hound
Air Mount: Golden Laiku, Any Griffion, Blue Bloodwyrm

The reason you have M.Crit up to 60% as a priority and not further is because when it matters you will have a priest in the group which will get you to 75% crit and the ice buff explained below will bring you up to cap(95%) during your Ice Fang spam times. You can go higher then 60% if you wish but should not prioritize it as highly beyond 60%.

As a Wizard you will regularly be working off of your linking abilities to maximize your damage in a dungeon run or raid. Your abilities that link are as such:

Ember/Frost Bomb link to Flame and Ice Barrage
Fire/Hail Storm link to Inferno/Glacial Meteor

Also two abilities that work together but dont "link" are these
Ice Fang/Burning Embers

So what does this mean? Well it means that if you use the button that pops up after you ember and frost bomb then your barrages will charge to max much faster, deal 10% more damage and have a 3m boost to their range. If you do this with fire and hail storm your meteors cast nearly instantly and are auto placed on the same spot as you placed your storms. Also note that the fire spells give boosts to you M.atk at 4% per stack and stacks up to 5 times while ice spells boost you M.crit% at the same rate. Also when you proc Burning Embers this allows you to cast Ice fang instantly and deal 300% extra damage, while freezing a target will also make ice fang instant cast. You should be weaving back and forth between fire and ice spells regularly while using the spells I explain below situationaly. While using Ice Fang when it is instantly castable whenever possible.

There are also other abilities that work very well with each other as in they are supposed to be used together whenever possible. These abilities are Light Blast and Thunderstorm. When you cast Light Blast you give yourself a 5% and the 5 closest party members to you a 20% cast time reduction and you reduce your threat on the target by 30%, in addition if you cast thunderstorm immediately after Light Surge it's cast time is cut in half. Additionally Light surge gives you a cast time reduction buff of 5% per stack and can stack up to 5 times

Another two abilities that are used together and are very useful for helping parties/raids stay alive is Dark Affliction and Gripping Curse. Casting Dark Affliction gives you a chance to fear as well as give you and your party a buff called Shadowspark replenishing up to 2.5% health AND mana every 2 seconds for 120 seconds in addition to Dark Ecstasy which gives you an additional 1% health and mana per second for 5 seconds. Be aware that this buff will stack up to 5 times giving you and your party/raid considerable staying power but at the price of your own personal damage as each stack also decreases your Magic Attack by 5% as well as increasing your cast time by 2%. Using these abilities is something to do when you're playing a support role for your party/raid or when you just had your mana shield popped and you need to regen mana while kiting. This is an excellent way to top yourself back up during a long fight. and help your party/raid stay alive through light aoe damage/add phases. Also Gripping Curse increases cast time by 50% on the mob its applied to.

So to recap Fire spells buff your M.atk Ice buffs your M.Crit% Light buffs your cast speed and dark buffs your hp/mp regen and debuffs your cast speed and m.atk. You can have one of these buffs running at the same time out of the fire and ice spells and one at a time running out of the light and dark spells. So you can have 20% increased M.atk and 20% increased cast speed at the same time if you want, but cannot have 20% M.atk and 20% M.crit% at the same time as well as you cannot have 20% cast speed and 5 stacks of shadowspark up at the same time. Ideally for optimal DPS you will stack the cast speed buff up to 20% and then rotate between the fire and ice spell buffs as your rotation allows.

Speaking of Rotations! Heres your ideal rotations. We assume you already have built up 20% cast speed buff prior to going into this rotation which you can do on trash mobs before reaching bosses just tossing Light blasts into your rotation when available.

Single Target Stationary Non Mounted with a Tank: Thunderstorm, Fire Storm, Inferno Meteor, Ice Fang until insta cast wears off, Ember Bomb, Ice Fang until Insta cast wears off, Flame Burst to proc Burning Embers, then Ice Fang until insta cast wears off. Alternatively if your party/raid has multiple wizards you can just cast Ice Fang whenever it is able to be insta cast and fill in with fire spells to refresh burning embers. Bottom line if you can instantly cast Ice Fang, do so. It's absolutely your best source of damage.

Single Target Non Mounted with Kiting: Ember Bomb-Flame Barrage- then Ice fang until proc wears off If you cannot do a bomb or barrage then just throw Flamebursts when able remembering to take advantage of your procs for instant ice fangs. If there are periods of stillness or u can kite in a tight circle u can throw AOE's down but they will typically not get used to their full potential.

Max AOE Rotation: Thunderstorm-Fire Storm-Inferno Meteor-Hail Storm-Glacial Meteor-Frost Bomb- Ice Barrage- Ember Bomb-Flame Barrage Incendiary Explosion 5x(if talented), Glacial Explosion 5x(if talented)and if you can get into melee range safely throw Cinder Fog, Freezing Mist, and Aqua Bubble down as well. But this usually isn't really the case.

Mounted Combat Single Target- Focused Barrage-Explosive Shot-Poison Bolt-Crossbow Attackx5-Blazing Shot-Aimed Shot-repeat

Mounted Combat AOE- Inferno Meteor-Fire Storm-Glacial Meteor-Hail Storm-Explosive Shot-Raining Blots-Whirlwind Spear

The reason your mounted combat aoe rotation changes from non mounted is because you do not get the links on your spells like you do when not mounted. Also these rotations are assuming ideal situations realistically things will happen which will force you to adapt your rotation to the situation. However try to maintain something close to these rotations in the given situations. Constructive criticism is always welcomed and I hope all you fellow mages were able to either learn something or confirm an idea you had about the class from reading this guide. Thanks for reading!

Other situational abilities are Glacial and Incendiary Explosion somewhat weak combo abilities that are ok for AOE. Aqua Bubble another AOE ability that puts down a dome that snare and does small damage to enemies inside of the bubble. Situational use only but generally these abilities are pretty weak.

Frozen Blessing can be a life saving ability if you pull threat on a boss, you can pop it and live, Also having mana shield up prevents you from being one shot at the cost of your mana pool. Just be sure to have mana pots available to refill your mana after you take a hit or use Dark Affliction/Gripping curse regularly to help keep your mana at a suitable level to maintain DPS if you get hit.

8-2-16 Changed rotations and guide to reflect level 35.
8-21-16 Added more current pets/seals, tweaked numbers and added CDR for stat priority.
UkkirkGraysonHammerTingsStarrySkyeRolotomasiSkywarpedVizkountCry0T3chn1cKid_IcarusMastas
  1. How was the guide61 votes
    1. Good
       69% (42 votes)
    2. Meh
       13% (8 votes)
    3. Bad
       5% (3 votes)
    4. Too *&#%$%^* Long
       13% (8 votes)

Comments

• HashtagHealsHashtagHeals
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,860
    edited July 18, 2016
  • GraysonHammerGraysonHammer
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,835
    edited July 18, 2016
    Thank you for this extremely helpful guide. I combined Tegeek's guide and your guide in Google Docs. This way those who are lazy to read and just want super simple and fast to read formatting can quickly skim through. I have given you guys complete credit. :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10B7WxlYz_7_sQwloWPgj6SsZQPmgE_dyuB2htgI174E/edit
  • NecroseNecrose
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 510
    edited July 19, 2016
    I do agree with most of this guide. And thanks for the great job.

However there are some points I dislike:

Fire hits harder than Ice, you will agree. And still you mix your skills in a bad way in your single target rotation. I would recommand to use Thunderstorm-Fire Storm-Inferno Meteor-Ember Bomb-Flame Barrage-Light blast-Frost Bomb-Ice Barrage-Hail Storm-Glacial Meteor-Light blast-Flameburst x3-Ice fangs. In that case, you will help your tank keeping the aggro by decreasing your own between your 2 "burst phases". Also if the target doesn't move, you can switch the position of Meteor and bomb, because I have never seen a tank who is able to keep the aggro on such a burst. But bomb then Meteor is easier to handle. Moreover doing all the fire thing will buff your first ice skill in a better way (frost bomb here). But I do agree you do the damage over a longer time (your tank doesn't have to be the god you ask for)

In your build, you finish by the Ember bomb then flameburst to proc the Ice fang thing. But your Ember DOES proc it, so why do you use flameburst ? Only thing that comes to my mind is that you want to go max fire stack before using Ice fang.

For the kiting, especially Sinthan in the house, it might be only me but you don't have time to cast your bombs and barrage next. Flamebursts and Ice fangs would be better. However, for those who cast spells (Carleon for example), you have way enough time to for Meteors and full charge bombs

Not mentionned here too, but when you have to fight on a mount, don't forget to use Dark Blessing, even if you can't heal the amount of HP that comes with it. Because this spells just gives you 10% Defense and M.Atk for 4 mins. That allows you to hit harder with the explosive shot.

Tell me what you think of it ;)
  • KilvorianKilvorian
    edited July 19, 2016
    I like the thought Necrose, I agree that it does allow you to stack your fire buff better, as well as lowering your threat throughout your rotation by mixing in the light bursts. Completely viable to use your rotation to make life easier on a tank trying to hold threat.
  • LosnarLosnar
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 540
    edited July 20, 2016
    Build wise the rotation may change and will greatly depend on the lack of some stat.
    Its mostly about the Stat priority on the gear. Mcrit chance is as far only found on: Staff, Gloves, Necklace, Pauldrons, Crossbow/Lance (considering that in Mounted state you tend to use the cross a lot more Id consider it over lance for the build) And Blue Bloodwyrm seals give 1.80% from 25th lvl. ( a max of 14 slots for seals can be found on 25lvl gear but is hard to find, common numbers are 10 slots totaly 18% to a max of 14*1.8=25.2%)

Why even try and get 95% Mcrit chance. If you go for the Mcrit build atm, the wisest choice would be to focus in: Mcrit Chance( balancing toward 95% with no buffs) > Int/Matck> Mcrit dmg
    The Crit build allows to get decent and stable dmg out put. Meaning you always know how much dmg you can deal and are not buff dependent. By stable damage i mean: when you switch between rotations of fire and ice spells the next thing happens
    Fire spell deal more Dmg and are cast slower, they give the Matck buff stacks.
    Ice spell deal about 25-30% less dmg and after the first Ice spell you instantly loose all Matck buff stacks leaving the end Dmg of Ice spells in about 40-50% weaker but they may crit.
    Having a high Magic crit base chance allows to max out fire spell dmg to the fullest, and make sure Ice spells are 95% crits ( youd need 75% crit chance to get there) You always know with this build the precise difference in dmg making it easier to control damage agro.

On the Int VS Matack stats. Its math. Each Int gives 1.5 Matack stat. SO 40 Int is the same as 60 Matack. There are cases when 2 gear pieces are almost the same in stats but differ in cost. And yes 60Matack is better of than +10 Int.

This said having a Mcrit chance of 85.35% atm for me its pointless to stack up that Ice buff (just since out of 20 casts only about 1-2 go non crit). Thus the only reason I'd need ice spells is to cast Ice fang instantly on a good situation and only when I need burst damage(lowest cast time and at least some dmg). And while on the topic the current cap (25) well allows to get 95% M crit chance (which is the stat cap) and still maintain a DPS count in around 1.2-1.3k, giving stable Dmg out put with only hard hit Fire spells. A build comes in above average price to be fair (mine went to 500gold and aint perfect)

And sorry if I just didn't notice but... I seem to miss the combo effect of Dark Affliction and Gripping Curse, which gives a debuff on the target increasing its cast times by 50% if I'm not mistaken. More usefull in PvP since it rarely procs on boss class mobs.

And a bit of personal usage on the Tips as my 5 cents.
    ThunderStorm has a good ability to interrupt the mobs actions, which is usefull when dealing with a bunch of trash mobs. Agro them up use Thunderstorm (or sometimes plan in advance and cast prior to agroing) The mobs end up piling up on the border of the AoE and ranged attacks are interrupted for the peroid. MAking it easier to hit more mobs with AoE and increase dmg/mana cost/spells cast.
    May be used to help get the dmg the tank recieves while tanking mob pack in a same fashion by interrupting mobs AA.

And in some situations tactical advantage given by some spells are better than to just get the buff from it. Missing a good chance to get mass controll effect is worse than losing a stacked buff.

PS the "Great wall of text" of my post isn't critics, but rather personal thoughts and experiment results built off the last 2 weeks. I rarely write anything, bc its always such a wall :(
    And if info needed easy solo any dificulty of all 25lvl content instances (never used mana shield so far, OP blink is better)
  • AlyvianAlyvian
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 640
    edited July 23, 2016
    Good post, but like the above poster i honestly believe for very similar reasons Magic crit is betterthan int. After a certain point, it just scales way to well to not have it near cap (70-80% whitout the priest buff)
  • KilvorianKilvorian
    edited July 23, 2016
    A crit heavy build could certainly be done, in which case it nearly eliminates the desire to cast any ice spells at all as their buff would then be meaningless and in fact it would be like debuffing yourself every time you cast an ice spell. IF you can get your crit up to cap with priest buffs or otherwise. Then I imagine your rotation would look something like this.

Thunderstorm, Fire Storm, Inferno Meteor, Ember Bomb, Flame Barrage, Flameburst, with optional Light Blasts tossed in for threat and cast speed buff management. You would actually likely not want to cast any ice spells at all.

With the level cap going up soon I personally am not going to re-stat my lv. 25 gear to test this out, but I may go full crit build at Lv. 35 and see how things work out there.
  • AshynnWhisperAshynnWhisper
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 740
    edited August 2, 2016
    I have been playing around with it a bit, and even when you have the instant cast Ice Fang, I do not think they are worth casting since the ice buff removes the fire buff. Crit issue aside, the base damage of Ice Fang is still too low to be competitive with the base damage of Flame Burst. This is even more so true if you are getting the cast time reduction from Surging Light that will make it so that your Flame Bursts are .5 seconds per cast. Thanks to animation speeds, you can get 2-3 Ice Fangs per Flame Burst, and the base damage of Ice Fang is about 1/4 of Flame Burst.

A good priority system as it stands right now would be:
    Light Blast/Thunderstorm- 5 stacks Surging Light (best done on trash)
    Flame burst- 5 stacks Inner Flame
    Ember Bomb-Flame Barrage
    If stationary target, then Firestorm-Inferno Meteor
    Flame Burst

When more survivability is needed than DPS switch out Light Blast/ Thunder Storm for Dark Affliction for Dark Ecstasy (Do not mix the two as Dark Ecstasy takes forever to build and Surging Light replaces it).

I have also not leveled to 35 yet so I am not sure how well Incendiary Explosion works. Once I finish leveling I will be looking at it some more; however, considering these buffs are 5 stacks and are huge at 20%, I doubt that it will be worth it to mix Ice and Fire unless we are capped on both Matk and Mcrit.

• PaulGCGPaulGCG
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,340
    edited August 2, 2016
    The rotations OP posted aren't very optimal.
    Proper rotation (single-target boss):
    1) Fire Storm -> Meteor, then spam Ice Fang for as long as you have instant cast time.
    2) Ember Bomb -> spam Ice Fang for as long as you have instant cast time. We're not using Kamehameha, because in that time you can throw 4x Ice Fang, which will do more damage than Kamehameha.
    3) While you wait for cooldown of the above 2 skills to end, use Ice Storm -> Glacial (if boss gets the debuff allowing you instant cast time on Ice Fang, of course throw some Ice Fangs for as long as you can).
    4) If the fire skills are STILL on cooldown, you can either do 3x Flameburst -> Ice Fang spam, or Ice Bomb -> Kamehameha.

Of course it helps to have Light buffs stacked up a few times before the fight begins. You can also stack 2x-3x Fire with Flameburst before beginning the fire rotation.

For killing the thrash mobs, more priority is given to big AoE and Bomb -> Kamehameha. Best to avoid spamming Ice Fang on a single mob, because you'll take aggro of that one mob for sure. You can use Ice Fang and then press Tab each time to change mob with every Ice Fang (use this when all your AoE and Bombs are on cooldown).

And of course wait until tank pulls all the mobs together before spamming AoEs... I get so pissed off when seeing other DPS attack mobs way too early, which in the end wastes a lot of time and makes them die in 1-shot in the end...
    UlrixAliExpress
  • KilvorianKilvorian
    edited August 2, 2016
    Guide has been updated to level 35! Sorry for the delay. Enjoy!
  • PheyPhey
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 200
    edited August 4, 2016
    PaulGCG
    PaulGCG said:

The rotations OP posted aren't very optimal.
    Proper rotation (single-target boss):
    1) Fire Storm -> Meteor, then spam Ice Fang for as long as you have instant cast time.
    2) Ember Bomb -> spam Ice Fang for as long as you have instant cast time. We're not using Kamehameha, because in that time you can throw 4x Ice Fang, which will do more damage than Kamehameha.
    3) While you wait for cooldown of the above 2 skills to end, use Ice Storm -> Glacial (if boss gets the debuff allowing you instant cast time on Ice Fang, of course throw some Ice Fangs for as long as you can).
    4) If the fire skills are STILL on cooldown, you can either do 3x Flameburst -> Ice Fang spam, or Ice Bomb -> Kamehameha.

Of course it helps to have Light buffs stacked up a few times before the fight begins. You can also stack 2x-3x Fire with Flameburst before beginning the fire rotation.

For killing the thrash mobs, more priority is given to big AoE and Bomb -> Kamehameha. Best to avoid spamming Ice Fang on a single mob, because you'll take aggro of that one mob for sure. You can use Ice Fang and then press Tab each time to change mob with every Ice Fang (use this when all your AoE and Bombs are on cooldown).

And of course wait until tank pulls all the mobs together before spamming AoEs... I get so pissed off when seeing other DPS attack mobs way too early, which in the end wastes a lot of time and makes them die in 1-shot in the end...
    This is the optimal rotation OP.
  • KilvorianKilvorian
    edited August 4, 2016
    Thats basically what i have, he is not adding thunderstorm in, the reason i have thunderstorm in at the beginning is because you can cast that at the start and have it tick dmg onto the mob while you start doing you other spells. So actually it is not perfectly fine but its pretty good
  • MonkeyDRuffyMonkeyDRuffy
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 500
    edited August 8, 2016
    Hey, can someone make a Video for these rotations, please? thanks
  • ShinobuShinobu
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 555
    edited August 11, 2016
    Does crit have an inherent damage multiplier? Or does crit damage mainly depend on the amount of your magic crit damage? Trying to figure out why we need to crit so much.

Thanks!
  • NecroseNecrose
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 510
    edited August 11, 2016
    ((ATK*skill multiplier)+Crit DMG)*crit multiplier

And crit multiplier does change with the skill. For example the fire bomb has a 1.5 multiplier, and the Explosive shot is definitely 2.0 multiplier.

And so ATK is more effective than Crit Dmg :p
  • ShinobuShinobu
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 555
    edited August 11, 2016
    So does that mean all mage skill multiplier is >= 1?
  • AuraeliAuraeli
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 550
    edited August 11, 2016
    if i have max crit should i be using Benthics or Bloodwyrms as seal stones?
  • AuraeliAuraeli
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 550
    edited August 11, 2016
    if i have max m.crit. should i use Benthic or Bloodwyrm stones?
    edited August 12, 2016
    Auraeli
    Auraeli said:

if i have max crit should i be using Benthics or Bloodwyrms as seal stones?
    Benthics, there are two posts discussing the details of this in the forum just below this post.
    edited August 12, 2016
    Necrose
    Necrose said:

((ATK*skill multiplier)+Crit DMG)*crit multiplier

And crit multiplier does change with the skill. For example the fire bomb has a 1.5 multiplier, and the Explosive shot is definitely 2.0 multiplier.

And so ATK is more effective than Crit Dmg :p
    Please, quit adding this damage equation to every post you see in the wizard forums. I have asked you to back it up in other places, and you have not. I doubt that it is anywhere near correct. As actual damage calcs are far more complex than what you are suggesting here, and throwing around an equation that is based purely on your private speculation does nothing but confuse people. I would love a simple answer like you are suggesting; however, it is just not that simple. Many factors influence damage that are not even accounted for in the calc you are throwing around, so please stop acting like it is gospel.
This discussion has been closed.