[ATTN NEW RIDERS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
Closed

DEV Blog 1 – Introducing Action Mode!

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
Riders of Icarus Rep: 36,945
Administrator
edited May 31, 2016 in Official News
Greetings, Riders! I am Seok Hoon, the Project Director of the Riders of Icarus development team. All the feedback that you had sent us in Closed Beta 2 has kept us very busy! Camera & Control mode improvements, Familiar Sprint, Frame improvements, optimization, and many other features are in the works for Closed Beta 3.

Riders of Icarus is our take on the classic MMORPG, so the game has a targeted keyboard/mouse control system that suits this genre. But, throughout Closed Beta 1 and Closed Beta 2, we saw feedback from Riders that they wanted a non-targeted action control system. In fact, we originally wanted to implement the new control system in Closed Beta 2, but unfortunately it had to be delayed. In Closed Beta 3, we are going to be able to introduce Action Mode.

MECHANICS AND FUNCTIONALITY
Action Mode is a control system that borrows from a non-targeted system. In Action Mode, you will be able to rotate the camera simply by moving the mouse. There's no need to target; instead, you aim at your target with the crosshair in the center of the screen, then click left and right mouse buttons to use your attack skills.

The simple and easy Action Mode control is perfect for aerial combat. When using the lance it will play like a hack and slash game, and when using the crossbow, it will play like a shooter game. We also recommend Riders try out this mode when playing melee classes.

Standard Mode is the traditional MMORPG control system that was provided in Closed Beta 1 and Closed Beta 2. You can target using a mouse click or the tab key, and then utilize the keyboard keys to use your attack skills. It's much more precise when compared to Action Mode, so this mode is recommended for the Priests who are responsible for the lives of party members, and Wizards who have many ranged skills and area of effect skills.

ACTIVATING ACTION MODE
You can toggle between the modes with the "Insert" key at any time during the game. In Action Mode, your screen will be locked to your mouse and the mouse will dictate the camera movement. When you need the mouse, you can activate your mouse cursor while holding the "Alt" key.

We recommend placing skills with short cooldown and combo skills in Action Mode in Hotkeys 1 and 2 on the skill bar. This way, you will be able to use more skills easily as you will have follow-up skills that come after the combo skills.

To use a skill on yourself or the party member, you can use "Ctrl" + "1 - 5" keys to select party members in Action Mode.

DEVELOPING ACTION MODE
The biggest challenge for us was bringing the thrilling action of the non-target systems despite the fact Riders of Icarus uses the traditional MMORPG target system. Even now, we are constantly exploring and testing different ways to improve Action Mode, including a Lock-On feature that will help with crossbow targeting. In Open Beta, we plan on bringing a highly polished control mode that allows usage of skills even without a target, the Lock-On feature, and other improvements.

As developers, your feedback is incredibly valuable to help us improve the game and develop the features that you want. We look forward to your comments on the Action Mode feature and we hope you enjoy Closed Beta 3!
RebeldawgCreamClutchNaniLegionerTazzieRealDragonSlayerWillhelminaDragonAlexTereyaand 18 others.

Comments

• CreamCream
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 22,260
    Forum Moderator, Council Member
    edited May 20, 2016
    This is just amazing, this also should satisfy some curiosities of members asking what has been going on. Great update Cheers for the development team and thanks!!!

LegionerTazzieSethGureRealDragonSlayerPerjureRaveTakezo_KenseiRumbaManZagatou
  • DrachesoulDrachesoul
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,410
    edited May 20, 2016
    This is fantastic, I love the thought that's been put into this, to give me and other Riders the option to play in a way that's perhaps more comfortable for us. I personally know that I'm going to be a huge fan of the Action mode, as I've become used to a similar system in other MMOs. The CB3 hype is real :3
    ClutchTazzieRealDragonSlayerCreamSporticasRumbaMan
  • ClutchClutch
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,810
    edited May 20, 2016
    YES! I love that this's been implemented. It'll make things a lot easier for myself and a lot of others.

"Action Mode"
    "Lock On"
    RealDragonSlayer
  • NaniNani
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,790
    edited May 20, 2016
    Thanks Seok! Looking forward to trying this new mode.

No need to "hope" we will enjoy CB3. I can assure you, we will love it ;)
    ClutchRealDragonSlayerPerjureKrimzonRumbaMan
  • LegionerLegioner
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 3,060
    edited May 20, 2016
    very interesting, thanks for the update!
    RealDragonSlayer
  • SethGureSethGure
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 7,750
    edited May 20, 2016
    I can not wait for this , #Hype
    RealDragonSlayer
  • DreherDreher
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,540
    edited May 20, 2016
    perfect :) lol yesterday i sayed a new player it pssible that we get 2 systems :D and we got it :D nice work :)
    RealDragonSlayer
  • RealDragonSlayerRealDragonSlayer
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,385
    edited May 20, 2016
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
    really action!?!?!! NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICEE and thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu i am so muuuuuuuuuuch happy OPS
    its BEST CHOICE using action non targeting system on icarus. it was my Dream.
    i cannt w8 please CBT3 (crying)

thank you WeMade ^^ :P you are best.
    CreamRave
  • HunterHunter
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,440
    edited May 21, 2016
    Can't wait to try this out, thanks for listening!
  • PerjurePerjure
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,070
    edited May 21, 2016
    I think this is great news from @SeokHoon! Having both types of targeting will really appeal to a much larger player base! Thank you for listening and bringing this great development to ROI :)
    CreamRaveClutchRumbaManZagatou
  • SprinklesSprinkles
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,640
    edited May 21, 2016
    This just gave my guild a reason to try the game. :)
    CreamPerjure
  • RaveRave
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 950
    edited May 21, 2016
    I like the fact that you can switch back and forth between Standard and Action mode. Sounds like a nice addition/adjustment.
    PerjureRealDragonSlayerSporticasRumbaMan
  • SubmissiveKittySubmissiveKitty
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 690
    edited May 21, 2016
    @cuddlewings

See that's what most mmo's need, instead of just using one or the other, implement both so that it can appeal to all audiences the same. I for one know that a game can be the best game in the world, but if the controls are crappy or too boring to use, it can kill the game quite quickly, at least kill it compared to where it would be with better functionality, so I definitely like the implementation of allowing modes to be changed freely at any time by the player, allowing them to use what setup works best for the situation and fight or area they are doing.

The original target click mode of games is great when you are experiencing lag, or just when you're in a fight or area that makes using open action style very difficult and helps keep your eyes on the target you want to kill, not the other ones that come with it, also great on boss fights with keeping focused on one target so you are not pulling the agro off tanks by dpsing the adds as much on accident.

The Action mode is definitely fun, it allows more immersion in game play to allow the players to really feel like they are controlling or not controlling the combat in many ways. Playing TERA Online here and there and after having played it the first time, I have a hard time playing target and click setups like wow or the like now, way too easy and most fights you rarely have to move around on, so that's where Action style excels it keeps the player focused and constantly moving around in order to survive, so when you kill a tough mob or boss you really do feel the achievement and feel proud of it, no matter how many people or guilds have beat it before you/your guild, and keeping a player focused is what keeps a game alive.. gets too boring or la di da feeling and players start dropping quickly.

You really do need to start marketing the game more though, I can already tell from watching, listening, and seeing the communication between the GMs and such that this game could in its perspective easily become larger and more popular then world of warcraft is and ever was.

Keep the updates coming, and let us the perspective players make this game great with you :)
    CreamClutchPerjureRealDragonSlayerSporticasTyon38RumbaManRave
  • Tyon38Tyon38
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 600
    edited May 21, 2016
    Oh heck yeah!!!!! What an awesome move! Can't wait to test it out :)
    Rave
  • TrevorTrevor
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,185
    edited May 21, 2016
    So do the asian versions of this game have this system or is this brand new?
  • SporticasSporticas
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,930
    edited May 22, 2016
    Dreher
    Dreher said:

perfect :) lol yesterday i sayed a new player it pssible that we get 2 systems :D and we got it :D nice work :)
    Can you hope that I win the lottery please? :)
  • DreherDreher
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 2,540
    edited May 22, 2016
    Sporticas
    Sporticas said:

Dreher
    Dreher said:

Can you hope that I win the lottery please? :)
    my allmighty oracle says : no you will not win this tresure - but you will be future bloobcoin millionare ! :D

Rave
  • Takezo_KenseiTakezo_Kensei
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,225
    edited May 22, 2016
    Man I can only say freaking fantastic. Ty to DEVs this is going well! CBT3 bring it!
    Rave
  • UzzielUzziel
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 1,385
    edited May 22, 2016
    This game is Getting more and more Similar to Vindictus ;/ i Think this action mode is kinda cool but but please work on PVP , do something that maybe u achive some ranks by getting kills and those ranks unblock some extra stats , make a large pvp for example something like raid vs. raid or everyone who will join pvp map has to chose side like red and blue .
  • VarkalisVarkalis
    Riders of Icarus Rep: 310
    edited May 22, 2016
    Yahiiiii!!!
    ehm, amazing.
This discussion has been closed.